Canaan ('low-land'), the name originally applied to the low coast-land of Palestine on the Mediterranean, inhabited by the Canaanites (strictly so called), as opposed to the mountain-land. Later it became extended to the whole country, yet only to the part west of the Jordan, the part east of Jordan being contrasted with it as the 'Land of Gilead.'
Canadian River, a shallow tributary of the Arkansas, rising in the NE. part of New Mexico, and running 900 miles generally eastward through Texas and Indian Territory to the Arkansas. Its largest tributary is the Rio Nutria, or North Fork of the Canadian, which runs parallel to the main stream for about 600 miles.
Candahar. See Kandahar.
Candeish. See Khandesh.
Candia is the name of a town of Crete (once the capital), and was long the only name by which the island was known in Western Europe. The city of Candia stands on the north coast of the island, north of Mount Ida. Its harbour is sanded up. Pop. 22,800. See Crete.
Candy. See Kandy.
Canea (anc. Cydonia), present capital and chief commercial town of Crete, on the north-west coast, with a fine harbour. Pop. 24,500.
Canelones (Kan-ay-lo'nez), a dep. of Uruguay. Area, 1827 sq. m.; pop. 86,750. Capital, Guade-lupe, 30 m. N. of Monte Video by rail; pop, 3000.
Canna, one of the Inverness-shire Hebrides, 12 miles SW. of Skye, and 3 NW. of Rum. It rises to 800 feet, and is 4 1/2 miles long, 1 mile broad, and 4 1/2 sq. m. in area. With the adjoining island of Sanday (1 sq. m.) its population in 1841 was 225; it is now under 100, mostly Catholic.
Cannro, an ancient town of Apulia, Southern Italy, near the mouth of the Aufidus (now Ofanto), and l 1/2 mile N. of the modern Canosa. Here, in 216 B.C., Hannibal defeated the Romans with prodigious slaughter.
Cannstatt, a town of Wurtemberg, on the Neckar, 3 miles NE. of Stuttgart. Of Roman origin, it has much-frequented mineral springs, and manufactures of iron, cottons, tobacco, etc. Pop. (1875) 15,064; (1900) 26,500.
Canosa (anc. Cannsium), a town of Southern Italy, 13 miles SW. of Barletta. It has a castle-crowned hill and a cathedral (1101-1825). Pop. 24,200. See CannAe.