Cannes (Kann), a watering-place in the dep. of Alpes-Maritiines, charmingly situated on a bay of the Mediterranean, 19 miles SW. of Nice by rail. Though founded by the Romans, it was but a place of 3000 inhabitants, when in 1815 Napoleon landed near it from Elba; nor was it till 1836 that Lord Brougham first selected it as a health-resort. Alexis de Tocqueville, Prosper Merimee, Louis Blanc, Victor Cousin, Auerbach, J. B. Dumas, and the Duke of Albany have died in Cannes; and in 1887 Queen Victoria came to Cannes to visit the place, and to see the beautiful Albany Memorial Church of St George of England, erected with funds raised by the Prince of Wales. Cannes is celebrated for the salubrity of its climate. Low wooded hills shelter it from the north, and it occupies the centre of the great curved bay, 14 miles across, of which Cap Roux and Cap d'Antibes form the extremities. It has a small port, and a trade in flowers, becoming yearly of greater importance. There are farms of violets, roses, oranges, tuberoses, jessamine, and cassia. Pop. (1872) 8201; (1901) 25,350 - sometimes doubled by winter visitors.