Capernaum (' village of Nahum'), a prosperous place in the time of Christ, identified generally with Tell Hum, on the NW. coast of the Sea of Galilee, but by Conder with Khan Minieh, in the NE. corner of the plain of Gennesaret.
Cape Wrath (said to be from Scand. hvarf, 'turning'), a grand pyramidal promontory of granite gneiss, forming the north-west extremity of Scotland and of Sutherland, 69 miles NW. of Lairg. It is 523 feet high, and on it is a lighthouse (1828), seen 27 miles off.
Capo d'Istria, a fortified seaport of Austria, on a rocky island in the Gulf of Trieste, 9 1/2 miles SSW. of Trieste. Connected with the mainland by a stone causeway, nearly half a mile long, it has a modern cathedral, and a Gothic townhall on the site of a Roman temple. Pop. 8646.
Cappamore, a village in the county, and 12 miles SE. of the town, of Limerick. Pop. 766.
Caprera (Ka-pray'ra), one of the small Buccinari Islands, in the Strait of Bonifacio, off the northern extremity of Sardinia. Measuring 6 by 2 miles, and 10 1/2 sq. m. in area, it is rocky and bare, and was formerly the abode only of wild goats - whence its name (Lat. and Ital. capra, ' a goat') - and rabbits. It was the much-loved home of Garibaldi from 1854 till his death here in 1882. He was buried behind his house. In 1885 the island was purchased from his heirs by the Italian government.
Capua, a fortified city of Italy, on the Vol-turno, 27 miles N. of Naples by rail. It has a fine cathedral, an antiquarian museum (1874), and a tower commemorating the sanguinary storming of the city by Caesar Borgia in 1501. Pop. 14,291. - The ancient Capua, which for wealth and population ranked second only to Rome and Carthage, and in which Hannibal's men became enervated (216 B.C.), was situated 3 1/2 miles SE. of the present city, its site being occupied by the modern town of Santa Maria di Capua Vetere. It was finally destroyed by the Saracens in 840. Among its Roman antiquities is a well-preserved amphitheatre, capable of holding 60,000 spectators.