Cape Verd Islands (Ilhas do Cabo Verde), a group of Portuguese islands, lying 350 miles W. of Cape Verd. They comprise ten inhabited islands, the chief being Santiago, Sao Antao, Fogo, Brava, and Sao Nicolao. Their total area is about 1480 sq. m.; and since 1820 the population has increased from less than 50,000 to about 150,000. The islands are all very mountainous, and owe their origin to the action of submarine volcanoes. The highest peak (9157 feet) in Fogo was active so recently as 1847. The climate is unhealthy during the rainy season (August to October), and long droughts have given rise to great famines, as in 1730-33 and 1831-33, which latter cost 30,500 lives. Though water is deficient, vegetation is luxuriant, yielding African and Southern European products. Sugar, manioc, yams, maize, coffee, tobacco, and indigo are grown; the woods have of late years begun to increase; and cattle-breeding is an important industry. Turtles are abundant in the surrounding seas; amber and archil are found on the coasts; and much salt is still procured from the lagoons. The inhabitants, who are mostly negroes and mulattoes, indolent but harmless, speak a bastard Portuguese. They are all Catholics. Porto Grande, in Sao Vicente, is an important coaling station for British steamers. The islands were discovered in 1441-56 by the Portuguese. Slavery was abolished between 1854 and 1878. See Darwin's Volcanic Islands (1844), and Ellis's West African Islands (1885).