Carabobo

Carabo'bo, a state of Venezuela, between the Caribbean Sea and the state of Zamora. Area, 3000 sq. m.; pop. about 200,000. The capital is Valencia; and the chief port, Puerto Cabello.

Caracas

Caracas, the capital of the republic of Venezuela, is situated in 10° 31' N. lat., and 67° 5' W. long., 6 miles (24 by rail) S. of La Guaira, its port. Built on the southern slope of the Avila (8635 feet), it is 3025 feet above sea-level, is regularly laid out, and well supplied with parks and gardens, water and gas, telephones, newspapers, tramways, and railways. The most notable edifices are the Federal Palaces and other official buildings, including the president's 'Yellow House;' the university; the Exhibition Palace; the cathedral; the magnificent basilica of St Ann (200,000); and over a score of hospitals and charitable institutions. Population, 75,000. The neighbourhood is subject to earthquakes; in that of 1812, 12,000 citizens perished.

Caramania

Caramania, a name sometimes given to part of the central tableland of Asia Minor, from the town of Karaman (pop. 7000), lying at the northern base of Mount Taurus. It is mostly in the province of Konieh.

Caravaca

Caravaca, a town of Spain, 40 miles NNW. of Murcia. Pop. 15,994.

Caravaggio

Caravaggio (Karavad'jo), a town of north Italy, 19 miles SSE. of Bergamo by rail. It has a famous church, to which pilgrimages are made, and was the birthplace of three painters, all surnamed Caravaggio. Pop. 6089.;

Caravellas

Caravellas, a Brazilian port, 475 miles NE. of Rio de Janeiro, on the Caravellas, 5 miles from its mouth. Pop. 4000.

Carberry

Carberry, a hill 3 miles SE. of Musselburgh, where Queen Mary surrendered (1567).

Carbondale

Carbondale, a town of Pennsylvania, on the Lackawanna River, 16 miles NNE. of Scranton by rail, with foundries and planing-mills, and rich beds of anthracite coal. Pop. (1880) 7714; (1900) 13,536.

Carcagente

Carcagen'te, a town of Spain, on the Jucar, 25 miles SSW. of Valencia by rail. Pop. 12,521.

Carcassonne

Carcassonne (the Carcaso of Csesar), a town in the French dep. of Aude, on the river Aude, and the Canal du Midi, 56 miles SE. of Toulouse by rail. The river, here spanned by two bridges of 1184 and 1846 feet, divides it into the old and the new town; the former, built on a height, is much more picturesque, its ramparts and towers dating partly from the time of the Visigoths, and partly, like the many-towered castle, from the 11th or 13th century. In 1210 this old town suffered greatly at the hands of Simon de Montfort, who here burned 400 Albi-genses. In 1356 it effectually resisted the Black Prince. Cloth-making is the staple industry; there are also manufactures of paper, leather, and soap. Pop. (1872) 20,808; (1901) 28,351. See works by Viollet le Due (1858) and Boyer (1884).

Carchemish

Car'chemish (mod. Jerablus), an ancient city on the Upper Euphrates, NE. of the modern Aleppo, was long the northern capital of the Hittites.