Cardigan (anc. Aberteifi; then Ceredigion - pron. Ker-e-dee'gi-on, g hard), a county town, municipal borough, and seaport on the Teifi, 3 miles from its mouth, and 117 miles NW. of Cardiff by rail. Pop. (1851) 3876; (1901) 3511. With Aberystwith, etc, it till 1885 returned one member to parliament. Remains of a castle (1160) crown a low cliff on the Teifi. The town suffered much in the struggles between the Welsh and the Normans. The Teifi is said to have been the last British resort of the beaver.
Cardigan Bay, a semicircular bend of St George's Channel, on the west coast of Wales, 54 miles wide from north to south, and 35 miles deep, with a sweep of coast of 130 miles. It has 3 to 30 fathoms water, with three reefs.
Carelia. See Karelia.
Carhan House. See Cahirsiveen.
Carimat'a, a name applied to the strait between Borneo and Billiton; also to a cluster of a hundred islets and reefs (area, 57 sq. m.; pop. 500) in that strait; and lastly, to the principal member of the group (highest point 2600 feet high).
Carinthia (Ger. Karnthen), a crown-land of the Austrian empire, forming part of the old kingdom of Illyria, with an area of 4005 sq. m., and a pop. of (1869) 337,694; (1900) 367,344. The principal river is the Drave; and the loftiest point is the Grossglockner (12,450 feet), the general aspect of the country being mountainous. Only 15 per cent. of the area is devoted to tillage. Horses and cattle are reared and exported. The principal products are mineral. Klagenfurt is the capital of Carinthia, which came into the possession of Austria in 1335. Only 30 per cent. of the population are Slavs (Slovenians), the remainder being Germans; and but 5 per cent. are Protestants.
Carisbrooke, a village in the Isle of Wight, 1 mile SW. of Newport. In its ruined castle Charles I. was imprisoned (1647-48), as were also his children Prince Henry and the Princess Elizabeth, the latter of whom died here. From the castle well, 200 feet deep, the water is drawn by a donkey inside a wheel.