Carolina. See North and South Carolina.
Carouge (Karoozh'), a Swiss town 1 3/4 mile S. of the city of Geneva. Pop. 5889.
Carpathian Mountains, an Austro-Hungarian range, the second great range of Central Europe, extend 880 miles in a great semicircle from Presburg on the Danube to Orsova on the same river. Negoi, the culminating peak, has an elevation of 8517 feet. The range is generally clothed with wood to a height of more than 4000 feet, and with steep precipices, narrow ravines, extinct craters, and cones of volcanic origin, exhibits scenes of grandeur rarely exceeded. See works by Crosse (1878) and Muriel Dowie (1891).
Carpentaria, Gulf of, a great indentation of the north coast of Australia, said to derive its name from the river Carpentier, so named by Carstensz in 1623, in honour of Pieter Carpentier, governor-general of the Dutch Indies. It contains many islands. To the east (where it is bounded by Cape York Peninsula), south, and west are Queensland and the northern territory of South Australia. On the east it receives the Mitchell and Van Diemen rivers; at the south the Flinders, Leichhardt, and Albert; and on the west the Roper.
Carpentras (Karpongtrass'), a town in the French dep. of Vaucluse, on the Auzon, 17 miles NE. of Avignon by rail. It has a Roman triumphal arch, a cathedral (1405), the stately Porte d'Orange of the 14th century, a massive aqueduct (1734), and manufactures of cottons, woollens, etc. It was the ancient Carpentoracte. Pop. 7794.
Carrara (Kar-rah'ra), a town of north Italy, on the Avenza, near its mouth in the Mediterranean, 30 miles NW. of Leghorn by rail. It is surrounded by the marble hills (part of the Apennine system) in which are some 400 marble-quarries, though very few furnish the marble used for statuary. Pop. 26,300. See the Century Magazine for 1882.
Carrickfergus, a seaport on the north side of Belfast Lough, and the south-east border of County Antrim, 9 1/2 miles N. of Belfast, and 12 miles S. of Larne by rail. Its picturesque castle-keep (90 feet), supposed to have been erected by De Courcy in the 12th century, stands on a headland 30 feet high. But one gateway now remains of the ancient city walls. Here William III. landed before the battle of the Boyne, and here Thurot made an abortive landing in 1760. Flax-spinning is carried on, and there is an oyster-fishery. Till 1885 Carrickfergus was a parliamentary borough. Pop. (1851) 8488; (1901) 4208.