Castleford, a town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Aire, 10 miles SE. of Leeds. It was a Roman station, and has now great glassworks, manufacturing especially bottles. Pop. (1851) 2150; (1891) 14,143; (1901) 17,386.
Castle Garden, originally Castle Clinton, a round fort (1807) built 300 yards out from the south end of Manhattan Island, was in 1824 converted into a place of amusement, in 1839 planted with trees, turf, and flowers, in 1847 again transformed into an opera-house, in 1858-90 was the New York depot for immigrants on arrival, was subsequently a government armoury, and then an aquarium.
Castlehills. See Caithness.
Castle-Island, a Kerry town, on the Maine, 11 miles ESE. of Tralee. Pop. 1500.
Castlereagh, a market-town on the Suck, 17 miles NW. of Roscommon. Pop. 1190.
Castle-Semple. See Lochwinnoch.
Castleton, (1) the capital of the Peak district, Derbyshire, 10 miles NE. of Buxton. It is commanded, to the south, by the ruined castle of William Peveril, a natural son of the Conqueror. Pop. 641. - (2) A Liddesdale parish, Roxburghshire, 21 miles S. by W. of Hawick. For Castleton of Braemar, see Braemar.
Castletown (Manx Bailey Cashtal), a seaport of the Isle of Man, on Castletown Bay, 11 miles SW. of Douglas by rail. The grounds of Rushen Abbey (11th century), near the station, are now market-gardens. Hard by is the small building where the House of Keys assembled for about 170 years. Brewing, tanning, and lime-burning are carried on. Near Castletown is King William's College (1833), an Elizabethan pile, rebuilt after the fire of 1844, and enlarged in 1862. Pop. 1963.
Castletownsend, a Cork seaport, 6 miles SE. of Skibbereen. Pop. 466.