Catanzaro (Katantzah'ro), a city of S. Italy, on a rocky hill 6 m. from the Gulf of Squillace, and 326 SE. of Naples by rail. It has a cathedral, a ruined castle of Robert Guiscard, and manufactures of silks, velvets, and woollens. Pop. 30,931.
Catharines. See Aleutian Islands.
Cat Island. See Bahamas.
Catskill Mountains, a group of well-wooded mountains in the state of New York, U.S., west of the Hudson River, and south of the Mohawk. Belonging to the Appalachian system, they cover some 5000 sq. m., chiefly in Greene County, N.Y. Some peaks reach nearly 4000 feet in height. The mountains generally have steep and often precipitous ascents, and their summits are broad and rocky. The deep valleys or ' cloves' of the region are remarkable for their almost perpendicular walls. See Searing's Land of Rip Van Winkle (1885).
Catstane, a monolith, 3 1/2 miles WNW. of Cor-storphine.
Cat'taro, a strongly fortified Austrian port in Dalmatia, lies at the head of the Gulf of Cattaro, 40 miles SE. of Ragusa, under the steep Montenegrin hills. It has a cathedral, a naval school, and a pop. of 5500. At one time the capital of a small republic, the town in 1420 joined the republic of Venice, and was handed over to Austria in 1814. The Gulf of Cattaro, an inlet of the Adriatic, 19 miles long, consists of three basins or lakes, connected by straits 1/2 mile broad.
Cat'tegat, or Kattegat, the bay or arm of the sea between the east coast of Jutland and the west coast of Sweden, to the north of the Danish islands. It is connected with the Baltic Sea by the Great and Little Belt (q.v.), and by the Sound; and the Skager Rack connects it with the North Sea. Its length is about 150 miles, and its greatest breadth 85.
Cauca (Kow'ka), a river of Colombia, flowing 600 miles N. to the Magdalena. It gives name to the largest of the Colombian states, traversed by the Andean coast-range, and extending along the Pacific from Panama to Ecuador. Area, 260,000 sq. m.; pop. (1887) 465,690. Capital, Popayan.