Caudebec (Koad-bek'), two places in Seine-Inferieure. Caudebec les Elbeuf, 12 miles S. by W. of Rouen, has a population of 9700, and manufactures cloth. Caudebcc-en-Caux, a pretty antique village of 2386 inhabitants, is on the-Seine, 31 miles WNW. of Rouen.
Cauterets (Koa-te-ray), a French watering-place in the dep. of Hautes-Pyrenees, lies 3250 feet above sea-level, in the valley of the Laver-dan, 42 miles SSE. of Pau. The stationary population was in 1901 only 1566, but it is annually swelled in summer by 15,000 to 20,000 visitors, for whose accommodation numerous sumptuous hotels and bathing-establishments have been built. Its twenty-five sulphurous springs (60° to 131° F.) have been known from Roman times; though their modern reputation dates from the 16th century, when Margaret, sister of Francis I., held her literary court and wrote much of her Heptameron at Cauterets.
Cauvery. See Kaveri.
Cav'an, an inland county in the south of Ulster. It lies in the narrowest part of Ireland, 18 miles from the Atlantic, and 20 from the Irish Sea. Area, 746 sq. m., of which less than a third is under crops. Bogs and hills, with many small lakes, are found in the north-west, where Cuil-cagh attains a maximum altitude of 2188 feet. The chief rivers are the Erne, the Woodford, and the Annalee. Of minerals, Cavan affords coal, iron, lead, and copper, with many mineral springs. The chief towns are Cavan, Cootehill, and Bel-turbet. Cavan returns two members to parliament. Pop. (1851) 174,064; (1901) 97,541, of whom 79,026 were Catholics. - Cavan, the county town, stands on a branch of the Annalee, 85 miles NW. of Dublin by rail. Pop. 2822.
Cavlte (Ka-vee-tay'), a decayed seaport of Luzon, one of the Philippines, 12 miles SW. of the capital. Pop. 5500.
Cawdor, a Nairnshire village, 5 1/2 miles SW. of Nairn. Cawdor Castle, the seat of the Earl of Cawdor, was founded in 1454, but is one of the three traditional scenes of King Duncan's murder by Macbeth in 1040. See Cosmo Innes's Book of the Thanes of Cawdor (1859).
Caxamarca. See Cajamarca.
Caxias, (1) a town of Brazil, in the province of Maranhao, on the navigable Itapicuru, 190 miles from its mouth. Pop. 10,000. - (2) An Italian colony in the Brazilian province of Rio Grande do Sul, founded in 1875. Pop. 13,680.
Cayenne, a fortified seaport, capital of French Guiana, on an island at the mouth of a river of the same name. The harbour is the best on the coast, but insecure and shallow. Cayenne, though the entrepot of all the trade of the colony, is chiefly known as a great French penal settlement (since 1852), its climate being extremely unwholesome for Europeans. The French took possession of the island in 1604, and again in 1677. The name of the capital is sometimes used for the whole colony. Pop. 12,600.