Cervin, Mont. See Matterhorn.
Cesena (Chez-ay'na), a cathedral city of central Italy, 12 miles SE. of Forli by rail. It gave birth to Popes Pius VI. and VII. Pop. 16,435. Here Murat defeated the Austrians, 30th March 1815.
Cette (Sett), a seaport in the French dep. of Herault, on a neck of land between the lagoon of Thau and the Mediterranean, 23 miles SW. of Montpellier. The harbour enclosed by the piers and breakwater can accommodate about 400 vessels, and is defended by forts. A broad deep canal, lined with excellent quays, connects the port with the Canal du Midi and the Rhone, thus giving to Cette an extensive inland traffic; it has likewise an active foreign commerce. Cette has shipbuilding yards, salt-works, glass-works, factories for the manufacture of syrups and grape-sugar, etc. It is a resort for sea-bathing, and has extensive fisheries. Colbert founded it in 1666. Pop. (1872) 25,181; (1901) 32,364.
Ce'uta (Span. pron. Thay'oo-ta), a fortified port belonging to Spain, on the coast of Morocco, opposite Gibraltar. It occupies the site of the Roman colony of Ad Septem Fratres, so called from the seven hills, of which the most prominent are Montes Almina and Hacho; on the latter, the ancient Abyla (one of the Pillars of Hercules), is a strong fort, and on the former, among beautiful gardens, lies the New Town. Ceuta has a cathedral, but is chiefly important as a military and convict station. The harbour is small, and exposed to the north. In 1415 Ceuta, with its territory, was captured by the Portuguese; in 1580 it fell to Spain. Pop. 13,339.
Cevennes (anc. Cebenna), the chief mountain-range in the south of France. With its continuations and offsets, it forms the watershed between the Rhone and the Loire and Garonne. The Cevennes extend for over 150 miles, through or into nine deps., the central mass lying in Lozere and Arddche, where Mont Lozere attains 5584 feet, and Mont Mezenc (the culminating point of the chain) 5754 feet. The average height is from 3000 to 4000 feet. See works by R. L. Stevenson (1879) and E. A. Martel (Paris, 1890).