Chandernagore (properly Chandan-nagar, 'city of sandalwood'), a French city, with a territory of about 3 1/2 sq. m., on the right bank of the Hugli, 22 miles above Calcutta. Established in 1673, it for a while rivalled Calcutta; now, through the gradual silting up of the river, it has little external trade. Pop. 25,395.
Chandpur, a town of the United Provinces, 19 miles S. of Bijnaur. Pop. 12,000.
Chang-Sha, a city of China, capital of the province of Hu-nan, on the Heng-kiang, a tributary of the Yang-tse. Pop. 300,000.
Chanonry. See Fortrose.
Chantenay, a growing western suburb of Nantes (q.v.).
Chantibun, or Chantabon, a town of Siam, a considerable port near the mouth of the Chanta-bun River, in the Gulf of Siam, occupied by the French as security for the fulfilment of the treaty of Bangkok in 1893. Pop. 30,000.
Chantilly (Shongtee-yee'), a town in the dep. of Oise, 26 m. NNE. of Paris. One of the most beautiful places in the vicinity of the capital, and the headquarters of French horse-racing, it attracts immense numbers of visitors. The magnificent chateau of the great Conde here was pulled down at the Revolution of 1793, but was rebuilt by the Due d'Aumale, who bought back the estate in 1872, and who in 1886 presented it to the French Institute, with its priceless art collections, its value nearly £2,000,000. The manufacture of silk pillow-lace, or blonde, so famous in the 18th century, is all but extinct. Pop. 4702.
Chapul'tepec, a rock, 150 feet high, 2 miles SW. of the city of Mexico. A castle (1785) crowns it, on the site of Montezuma's palace.
Chard, a municipal borough of Somerset, 15 miles SSE. of Taunton. It has manufactures of lace. Pop. 4575.