Chatellerault (Shah-tel-ro'), a town and river-port in the French dep. of Vienne, on the river Vienne, 40 miles S. of Tours by rail. It is a smoky, dingy place, one of the chief seats of the cutlery manufacture in France, and since 1820 has had a government small-arms factory. The title of Duke of Chatellerault was conferred by Henri II. in 1548 on James Hamilton, Earl of Arran and Regent of Scotland. The population of the town is 18,000, of the commune 20,000.
Chatham Islands, a small group in the Pacific, lying 360 miles E. of New Zealand, to which they politically belong. There are three islands - Of which the largest, Chatham Island, is 38 miles long - and some rocky islets. Total area, 375 sq. m.; pop. 420, of whom about half are Maoris, with a few Morioris or aborigines. The Chatham Islands were discovered in 1791 by Lieutenant Broughton, of the brig Chatham. A large brackish lake occupies the interior of Chatham Island, which is of volcanic origin and hilly. Stock-rearing and seal-fishing are the chief industries, the islanders having over 60,000 sheep and 400 to 700 cattle, with which they supply passing vessels. The Morioris numbered 1200 in 1831, when 800 Maoris were landed from New Zealand, by whom the former were reduced to 90 in nine years' time.
Chat Moss, a bog in Lancashire, the largest in England, 7 miles W. of Manchester, and 10 sq. m. in extent. In 1793-1800 it was the scene of the first great and successful efforts for the reclaiming of bogs, and in 1829 George Stephenson here achieved a great engineering triumph in the construction of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, constructing the portion of the line through Chat Moss at a smaller expense than any other part of the railway.
Chattahoochee, a headstream of the Appa-lachicola (q.v.).
Chattanooga, capital of Hamilton county, Tennessee, a shipping centre on the Tennessee River, 151 miles SE. of Nashville, with good railway connections. It has cotton and other factories, ironworks, tanneries, and sawmills. Pop. (1870) 6093; (1880) 12,892; (1900) 30,150.
Chaudes-Algues (Shoad-zayg') a town in the dep. of Cantal, 90 miles S. of Clermont, with four mineral springs (135° to 177° F.). They are good for various diseases, rapidly discharge the grease from sheep's wool, and in winter are impounded for heating the houses of the town. Pop. 1046.