Chaudfontaine (Shoad-fong-tayn'), a Belgian village in the valley of the Vesdre, 5 m. SSE. of Liege by rail, with mineral springs (92° F.). Pop. 1552.
Chaudiere (Sho-dee-ehr'), a river and lake of Canada. The river joins the St Lawrence from the south 7 miles above Quebec, and 2 1/2 miles from its mouth, forms the celebrated falls of Chaudiere. The lake - merely one of the many expansions of the Ottawa - has on its right the city of that name, the capital of the Dominion.
Chaumont (Sho-mong), a town in the French dep. of Haute-Marne, 1023 feet above sea-level between the rivers Marne and Suize, 140 miles SE. of Paris. There are manufactures of gloves, cutlery, etc. Pop. 11,700.
Chauny (Sho-nee'), a town in the French dep. of Aisne, 77 miles NNE. of Paris. Pop. 10,100.
Chautauqua (ch as sh), a celebrated summer-resort on Chautauqua Lake, in a county of the same name near the south-west extremity of the state of New York, is famous as the seat of the 'Chautauqua Assembly,' founded in 1874 by John H. Vincent, D.D., and Lewis Miller, to provide systematic instruction for Sunday-school teachers, together with popular lecture courses in literature, science, and art. Lake Chautauqua is a beautiful sheet of water 20 miles long, with an average breadth of 2 miles, lying 700 feet above Lake Erie, from which it is distant 10 miles. The Assembly Grounds, on the northern shore of the lake, comprise about 165 acres, containing over 500 attractive summer cottages, a museum of archaeology, an amphitheatre seating over 5000, etc. Large numbers of students and visitors congregate here in the summer season.
Chaux de Fonds (Sho-d"Fongd"), a Swiss town, 18 miles by rail NW. of Neuchatel, in a bleak valley 3254 feet above the sea. It has for two centuries been a chief seat of the watch manufacture. Pop. (1834) 6500; (1901) 36,390.
Cheadle, (1) a market-town in the moorland district of Staffordshire, 14 miles NNE. of Stafford. Lying in a pleasant vale, engirt by wooded hills, it has a Roman Catholic Church, erected in 1846 from designs by Pugin, at a cost of £60,000. Pop. of parish, 5190. - (2) Cheadle and Gatley, a Cheshire urban district, near the Mersey, 2 1/4 miles WSW. of Stockport, and included partly in that county borough. Pop. 7920.
Cheddar, a Somerset village, on the south side of the Mendip Hills, 21 1/2 miles SSW. of Bristol by rail. It lies at the entrance of a deep rocky gorge, nearly 1 mile long, whose stupendous limestone cliffs contain caverns - one 300 feet long - filled with fantastic stalactites and stalagmites. The famous Cheddar cheese originated here. Pop. of parish, 1901.