Che-foo, a treaty port on the north side of the peninsula of Shan-tung, at the entrance to the Gulf of Pechili, in which it is the only port that remains open throughout the winter. The foreign quarter, with about 420 Europeans and Americans, is in some sense a colony of Shanghai; the Chinese town (spelt also Cheefoo, Chi-fu, and Tschifu) has about 33,000 inhabitants. There is a large import and export trade.
Cheliabinsk (Tchel-ya-binsk'), a town in the Russian government of Orenburg, 365 miles NE. of Orenburg, which has rapidly grown in importance as the meeting-point of several great railways - one of them the Trans-Siberian railway. Pop. 25,300.
Chelmsford, the county town of Essex, at the confluence of the Chelmer and the Cann, 29 miles NE. of London. It has a corn exchange (1857), a shire hall (1792), a grammar-school (1551), and a parish church, which, all but the tower and spire, was rebuilt between 1803 and 1878. There is a considerable trade in agricultural produce. Chelmsford was incorporated in 1888. Pop. (1851) 6033; (1901) 12,580.
Chelyuskin, Cape (Tchel-yoos'kin; also called North-east Cape, and Cape Severo), the most northerly point of Asia, on a peninsula of the same name, which forms the western arm of the eastern half of the Taimyr peninsula. It is named after a Russian officer who here succumbed to the fatigues of the journey (1742); it was first revisited by Nordenskjold in 1878. He found it a low promontory, divided into two parts by a small bay; the lat. of the western is 77° 36' 37" N.
Chemnitz (Kem'neetz), a Saxon town at the base of the Erzgebirge and the confluence of the Chemnitz with three other streams, 51 miles SSE. of Leipzig by rail, and 43 WSW. of Dresden. It is the 'saxon Manchester,' its industry consisting in the manufacture of cottons, woollens, silks, calico, cheap hosiery, machinery, and mixed fabrics of wool, cotton, and jute. Pop. (1801) 10,835; (1861) 45,532; (1900) 206,584.
Chemulpo, a town on the west coast of Corea, 25 miles by road WSW. of the capital, Seoul. It is one of the three treaty ports opened in 1883 to foreign commerce, the volume of which has since steadily advanced. Pop. (1005) 20,000, of whom 5000 are foreigners, many Chinese and Japanese.
Chenab', one of the five rivers of the Punjab, rises in the Kashmir range of the Himalayas and enters British territoiy in Sialkot district. It unites with the Jhelum at Timinu, afterwards receives the Ravi, and, as the Trimab, joins the Sutlej, 50 miles above Mithankot. Its length is 755 miles.