Chelsea, a suburb of London, on the north bank of the Thames, here crossed by bridges to Battersea (q.v.). In the sixteenth century the village of Chelsea was the residence of Sir Thomas More, Queen Catharine Parr, the Princess Elizabeth, and Anne of Cleves. Afterwards Walpole, Swift, Steele, and Sir Hans Sloane, and, in later years, Leigh Hunt, Carlyle, Rossetti, and George Eliot lived here. Ranelagh (1742-1803) here was much resorted to, and afterwards Cremorne (closed 1877). Besides Chelsea Hospital (1692) for old and disabled soldiers, there are a Royal Military Asylum for soldiers' children, large barracks for the Foot Guards, a botanic garden, water-works (1722) to supply London, a river-pier, and an embankment (1873) extending to Battersea Bridge on the west. The famous porcelain works were established about 1745. The borough has returned a member to parliament since 1885, and (since 1899) is one of the London metropolitan boroughs. Pop. (1901) 73,842. See the official History of Chelsea Hospital (1872), and other works by Martin (1888) and Beaver (1893).