Chengalpat. See Chingalpat.
Chopping Wycombe. See Wycombe.
Chepstow, a river-port of Monmouthshire, on the right bank of the Wye, 2 1/2 miles from its influx to the Severn estuary, and 17 ENE. of Newport. It lies between bold cliffs, on a slope rising from the river, in the midst of exquisite scenery. Its noble ruined castle stood two sieges during the Great Rebellion, and has been held successively by Fitz-Osbornes, Clares, Bigods, Herberts, and Somersets. The railway crosses the Wye by Brunei's tubular suspension bridge (1852), 600 feet long, and 50 above high-water. Here occurs the highest tide in the British Islands - the greatest recorded difference between low and high water being 53 feet. Pop. 3050. See Marsh's Annals of Chepstow Castle (1883).
Cher (Sher), a river flowing 200 miles northward and north-westward to the Loire below Tours. It is navigable from Vierzon. - Cher, to which the river gives its name, is the central dep. of France. The surface consists of plain and well-wooded hills (1600 feet). Area, 2770 sq. m.; pop. (1872) 335,392; (1901) 345,543. Bourges is the chief town.
Cherkask. See Tcherkask.
Chernigov. See Tchernigoff.
Cherson. See Kherson.
Chertsey, a town in Surrey, near the right bank of the Thames, here crossed by a seven-arch bridge (1785), 21 miles WSW. of London. It arose in a monastery founded in 666, and re-founded in 964 by Edgar for Benedictine monks. Charles James Fox lived on St Anne's Hill, an abrupt elevation a mile distant; and the poet Cowley spent his last two years in a house that is marked with an inscription. The population is about 13,000.
Chesapeake Bay, in Maryland and Virginia, and dividing the former state into two parts, is the largest inlet on the Atlantic coast of the United States, being 200 miles long, and from 4 to 40 broad. Its entrance, 12 miles wide, has on the north Cape Charles, and on the south Cape Henry, both promontories being in Virginia. The bay receives the Susquehanna, Potomac, Rappahannock, York, and James rivers.
Chesham, a market-town of Buckinghamshire, 18 miles NW. of London. It manufactures cricket bats, racquets, wooden spades, hoops, etc. Pop. 7350.
Ches'hunt, a large village of Hertfordshire, 14 miles N. of London. It is famous for its rose-gardens, and its college, founded in 1768 for ' the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion 'at Trevecca, Wales, removed hither in 1792, and now a school of London University. Pop. 13,100.