Chesll Bank or Beach, a bank of gravel and shingle extending 16 miles from Bridport to Portland. It varies in height from 20 to 43 feet, and in width from 170 to 200 yards. For some part of its course it hugs the shore, but the Fleet comes between it and the land for nearly 10 miles from Abbotsbury (q.v.). Towards its west end the bank is composed of sand, grit, and fine gravel, but the materials get gradually larger and larger as it is followed eastward.
Chesterfield, a municipal borough in Derbyshire, on the Rother rivulet, 12 1/4 miles SSE. of Sheffield by rail. All-Saints' Church (c. 1350) has a curious crooked spire, 228 feet high, and 6 feet off the perpendicular; in Trinity Church (1838) is buried George Stephenson. Other buildings are the townhall (1857), the Stephenson memorial hall, and the grammar-school (1574; rebuilt 1846). There are manufactures of silk, lace, earthenware, and machinery; and the neighbourhood is rich in coal, iron, and other minerals. Brindley's Chesterfield Canal (1776) extends 46 miles to the Trent. Pop. (1851) 7101; (1901) 27,185, within the borough as extended in 1892. See Yeatman's Records of Chesterfield (1885).
Chesterfield Inlet, a narrow gulf penetrating 250 miles west from the NW. of Hudson Bay.
Chester-le-Street, a Durham market-town near the left bank of the Wear, 6 miles N. of Durham city. The seat of the Bishop of Bernicia from 883 to 995, it has an old collegiate church; whilst in the neighbourhood are Lambton, Lumley, and Ravensworth Castles, the seats of the Earls of Durham, Scarborough, and Ravensworth. Coalmines and ironworks are numerous. Pop. of parish, 12,000.
Chesterton, a NE. suburb of Cambridge.
Cheviot Hills, a mountain-range of Northumberland and Roxburghshire, on the English and Scotch border, running 35 miles south-westward, from near the junction of the Till and Tweed, to the sources of the Liddel. The principal points are Cheviot Hill (2676 feet) and Peel Fell (1964).
Cheyenne, the capital of Wyoming state, U.S., situated on the eastern slope of the Laramie Mountains, 6000 feet above sea-level, and 106 miles by rail N. of Denver. Coal and iron are found in its neighbourhood. Pop. (1870) 1450; (18S0) 3456; (1900) 14,087.
Chiana (Kee-dh'na; anc. Clanis), a river of Italy, originally a tributary of the Tiber, watering the perfectly level Val di Chiana, which its overflow rendered once the most pestilential district of Italy. The bed was deepened in 1789-1816, and in 1823 a northern branch was led through canals to the Arno, a few miles below Arezzo.
Chianti (Kee-ahn'tee), an Italian mountain-range, in the province of Siena; it gives name to an excellent red wine.