Chobe, a tributary of the Zambesi.
Cholet (Sho-lay'), in the French dep. of Maine-et-Loire, on the Maine, has manufactures of linens and woollens. Pop. 17,150.
Cholu'la, a decayed town of the Mexican state of Puebla, stands nearly 7000 feet above sea-level, on the tableland of Anahuac, 55 miles ESE. of the city of Mexico. The pop. has dwindled from 100,000 in Cortes' day to only 9000. The most remarkable memorial of aboriginal times is the huge Teocalli pyramid of earth, clay, brick, and stone, dedicated to the god Quetzalcoatl.
Chonos Archipelago, a group of bare, thinly peopled islands off the west coast of Patagonia, 44°-46° S. lat., belonging to Chili.
Chorley, a busy town in North Lancashire, 9 miles S. by E. of Preston by rail. It has manufactures of cotton-yarn, jaconets, muslins, fancy goods, calicoes, ginghams, and railway wagons, with neighbouring bleach-fields, print-works, coal-mines, and stone quarries. It became a municipal borough in 1881. Pop. (1851) 8907; (1901) 26,852.
Chosbn. See Corea.
Ohota Nagpore (Chutia Nagpur), a south-west commissionership of Bengal, embracing four British districts, seven petty tributary states, and two semi-independent states. Area of the British districts, 26,966 sq. m.; pop. 4,900,000. Area of the division, 43,020 sq. m.; pop. 6,000,000.
Christiansand, a city of Norway, near its southernmost extremity, on a sandy plain at the mouth of the Otteraa. A garrisoned town, built by Christian IV. in 1641, it has several dockyards, and a good harbour much used for refuge. At the mouth of the harbour is the beautiful island of Oddero, laid out with public gardens and promenades. Christiansand has a considerable trade in timber, pitch, stockfish (salted cod), fish-oil for curriers, salmon, mackerel, lobsters, and white ptarmigans, the last two chiefly for the London market. Shipbuilding is a considerable industry. Christiansand, which suffered much by fire in July 1892, has a cathedral. Pop. 14,813.
Christiansfeld, a settlement (1772) of Moravian Brethren in Northern Sleswick.
Christianstadt, the chief town of the Danish West Indian island of Santa Cruz, on the north shore. Pop. 5500.
Christiansund (63° 10' N. lat., 7° 50' E. long.), sometimes confounded with Christiansand though 350 miles farther north, is a picturesque Norwegian coast-town, built on three wooded islands. It has a considerable trade with Spain and Italy in salt-fish, and is a calling-place for passenger steamers. Pop. 12,3S1.