Christchurch, a parliamentary and municipal borough of Hampshire, at the head of the estuary fonned by the Avon and Stour, 24 miles SW. of Southampton by road, but 33 1/2 by rail. The noble church of an Augustinian priory (1150) is 303 feet long by 101 across the transept, and includes every style from Norman to Perpendicular. Special features of interest are the splendid Early English porch, a monument to Shelley, a beautiful rood-screen, and the chapel built by Henry VIII.'s victim, Margaret, Countess of Salisbury. Little remains of a Norman castle. Christchurch possesses one notable specialty, the making of watch and clock fusee-chains. The harbour has high-water twice every tide. The parliamentary borough, 22,350 acres in area, comprises the favourite watering-place Bournemouth, and returns one member; but of the population of 70,000 only 4500 are within the municipal borough of Christchurch, which was incorporated in 1886.
Christchurch, capital of the provincial district of Canterbury, New Zealand, on the river Avon, about 8 miles from Port Lyttelton by rail. It has tramways, government offices, a museum (with many specimens of the Moa), a cathedral (1881; a reproduction of that of Caen in France), and a hospital. The water-supply is derived from artesian wells. Two parks and the Government Domain afford ample pleasure-grounds. Boot manufacturing is one of the chief industries. An earthquake in 1888 damaged the cathedral and other buildings. Pop. 18,500, but with Sydenham and the suburbs, 52,000.