Christmas Island, in the Pacific, is in 1° 57' N. lat., and 157° 27' W. long., with some guano deposits, and is a British possession. - Another Christmas Island, annexed to Britain in 1888, lies about 250 miles SW. of Java, is 6 miles long by 4 broad, and consists of rich phosphate deposits and coral on a volcanic substratum, part of it covered with luxuriant vegetation. - There is a third Christmas Island in the Bras d'Or, Cape Breton.
Chuhut, or Chupat, a Welsh colony in Patagonia, so named from a river whose mouth is 600 miles S. of the river Plate. The first settlers, 151, arrived in July 1865; and the population, after dwindling to 120, rose to 690 in 1876, and 3S00 in 1900. The principal town, Trerawson, or Rawsonville, about 5 miles from the sea, is named after Dr Rawson, an Argentine statesman.
Chumbul, an Indian river, rising in the Vin-dhyan Mountains, and flowing 650 miles NB. to the Jumna.
Church, States of the, a territory or group of 'Papal States' in Central Italy, once under the sovereignty of the pope, since 1870 incorporated with the kingdom of Italy. Till 1S59 they covered 15,000 sq. m., and had a population of 3,000,000 - including, besides Rome, the Romagna, Umbria, the March of Ancona, and the towns of Bologna, Perugia, and Viterbo.
Chusan', the largest island of a small archipelago, a mile off the E. coast of China, opposite Ningpo. Area, over 230 sq. m.; pop. 200,000 to 250,000. Although mountainous in the centre, it is generally fertile. Ting-hai, the capital (pop. 40,000), has a land-locked harbour. It was held by the British in 1840-41, and again in 1860. The sacred island of Pu-tu, a mile E. of Chusan, is covered with Buddhist temples, pagodas, and monasteries, with over a thousand monks.