Cicest8r. See Cirencester.
Cinque Ports. The five great ports on the coast of Kent and Sussex lying opposite to France - Sandwich, Dover, Hythe, Romney, and Hastings - were, subsequently to the battle of Hastings, constituted by the Conqueror a jurisdiction entirely separate from the counties of Kent and Sussex, and erected into a sort of county palatine, under a warden, the seat of whose administration was Dover Castle (now Walmer Castle). Privileges similar to theirs were afterwards extended to Winchelsea and Rye; and all the seven municipal towns except Winchelsea had subordinate ports and towns attached to them, which were called limbs or members. See Montagu Burrows, Cinque Ports (1888).
Circars, The Northern (Sarkar, 'a government '), the historical name for an Indian territory lying along the coast of the Bay of Bengal, from 18 to 100 miles wide, with an area of 17,000 miles. It nearly corresponds with the present Madras districts of Ganjam,Vizagapatam, Goda-vari, Kistna, and parts of Nellore and Karnul.
Circassia, a territory on both sides of the western Caucasus. See Caucasus.
Cirencester, a town of Gloucestershire, amid the Coteswold Hills, on the Churn, a headstream of the Thames, and on the Thames and Severn Canal, 14 miles SSE. of Cheltenham, and 18 NW. of Swindon. It has a very fine Perpendicular church (restored 1867), a public hall (1863), some remains of an abbey (1117), and, 1 mile distant, an agricultural college (1846), a Tudor edifice. Near this is the handsome seat of Earl Bathurst. There is a considerable trade in wool and agricultural produce, and the town is a hunting centre. Till 1867 it returned two members; till 1885 one. The population is over 7500. Cirencester (pron. Cisseter) was the Roman Corinium, and was stormed by Rupert in 1642 and 1643. The chronicler Richard of Cirencester was a native.