Cincinnati (Sin-sin-nah'tee), the second city of Ohio, on the north bank of the river Ohio,'270 miles SE. of Chicago by rail, opposite the cities of Covington and Newport in Kentucky. Steam-ferries and six lofty bridges connect the city with the Kentucky shore; the suspension bridge by Roebling is 2250 feet long, and cost $1,800,000. Cincinnati occupies an exceedingly broken and irregular site, the more densely built parts being enclosed between the river and steep hills. The lower business streets are liable to be flooded at times. The river front is upwards of 14 miles in length. A second terrace is 50 or 60 feet higher, and a district between the hills and the Miami Canal, known as 'over the Rhine,' is appropriated to the large German colony. The suburbs are built on a succession of irregular hills, by whose steepness they are broken into a series of some five and twenty villages, interspersed with parks (including Eden Park, of 216 acres). Among the public buildings are the post-office; the Chamber of Commerce; a large art museum; an art school, and a college of music (1878); a large music-hall, with a noted grand organ; a commodious city building; and a courthouse. There are more than 250 churches, including a Roman Catholic cathedral; besides many handsome theatres, hotels, and public halls, hospitals and asylums, and schools of every grade, including medical, law, and divinity seminaries - the Presbyterian Lane Theological Seminary is famous. To the Cincinnati University, the Cincinnati Observatory and Astronomical School are attached; there are large libraries, a zoological garden, the Cuvier Club and the Historical and Philosophical Society. The city is a centre of musical and art culture, and its decorative pottery and wood-carving have a national reputation. It has a large river and canal traffic, and many railways converge here. Amongst the factories are clothes-factories, foundries, machine shops, coach-works, works for the manufacture of furniture, tobacco, shoes, leather, etc. There is some boat-building and printing; and the slaughter-houses, stockyards, and grain-elevators are very extensive. Cincinnati was settled by white men in 1780, and was named in honour of the military Society of the Cincinnati. It was incorporated as a city in 1819, and early attained the name of 'the queen city of the west;' as also that of ' Porko-polis,' from its great trade in pork. Great riots occurred in 1884, and were with difficulty suppressed by the military. Pop. (1850) 115,436; (1880) 255,139; (1890) 296,908; (1900) 325,902, about a third being of German origin.