Clapton, a north-east district of London.
Clara, a market-town of King's county, 65 miles W. of Dublin. Pop. 1111.
Clare Island, a Mayo island (5x3 miles), in the Atlantic, at the entrance of Clew Bay.
Claremont, a mansion at Esher, Surrey, 14 1/2 miles SW. of London. Built for himself by Sir John Vanbrugh, and rebuilt by Clive in 1768, it was the death-place of the Princess Charlotte and of Louis Philippe, and in 1882 became the private property of Queen Victoria.
Claremont, a village of New Hampshire, U.S., on the Sugar River, 55 miles by rail WNW. of Concord. Pop. 6565.
Claremorris. See Clare.
Clarence, an English ducal title, by some derived from Clare in Suffolk, but usually understood to be the French form of Glarentza (Ital. Chiarenza), a small port on the west coast of the Morea, in Greece, 50 miles SW. of Patras - the title having come to Edward III. through his wife, Philippa of Hainault.
Clarendon Park, Wiltshire, 3 miles ESE. of Salisbury, the seat of a former royal palace, where a great council met in 1164.
Clarens, a beautiful Swiss village on the Lake of Geneva, 3 1/2 miles SB. of Vevey by rail.
Clase, a northern suburb of Swansea.
Clausthal. See Klausthal.
Clava, a plain 6 miles E. of Inverness, with many stone-circles and standing-stones.
Claverdon, a Warwickshire village, 8 miles N. of Stratford-on-Avon.
Claverhouse, 3 1/2 miles N. by E. of Dundee, the birthplace of Viscount Dundee.
Claycross, or Claylane, a town of Derbyshire, on the Rother, in a coal and iron region, 4 1/2 miles S. of Chesterfield. Pop. 8358.
Clayton, a Yorkshire township, 3 1/2 miles W. by S. of Bradford. Pop. 5119.
Clear, Cape, a headland of Clear Island, the most southerly point of Ireland, with a lighthouse and telegraph station. Clear Island, 66 miles SW. of Cork, is 1504 acres in area.
Cleator Moor, a town of Cumberland, 4 miles SE. of Whitehaven, with coal-mines and iron-furnaces. Pop. 8120.
Cleaven Dyke, a rampart in Caputh parish, Perthshire, at the Isla's junction with the Tay, a supposed site of the Battle of the Grampians (86 A.D.).
Cleckheaton, a town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 5 miles SSE. of Bradford, with manufactures of textiles and machinery. Pop. 12,826.
Clee Hills, a Shropshire range (1805 feet) to the N. of Ludlow.
Cleethorpe, a Lincolnshire watering-place, at the mouth of the Humber, 2 1/2 miles ESE. of Great Grimsby. Pop. (with Thrunscoe) 13,000.
Cleeve Abbey, Somerset, 2 1/2 miles SW. of Watchett, a ruined Cistercian abbey (1188).
Cleish Hills, Kinross-shire, 1240 feet high.
Cleland, a Lanarkshire mining village, 3 1/2- miles E. by N. of Motherwell. Pop., with Omoa, 3000.
Cleobury-Mortimer, a Shropshire market-town, on the Rea, 12 miles E. of Ludlow. Pop. of parish, 1463.