Clerkenwell, a London parish, lying within the parliamentary borough of Finsbury, and due north of St Paul's. It is largely inhabited by watchmakers, goldsmiths, and opticians. The Fenian attempt to blow up Clerkenwell prison took place 13th December 1867.
Clevedon, a pleasant Somersetshire watering-place, on the Bristol Channel, 12 miles by road but 16 by rail WSW. of Bristol. The historian Hallam, and Arthur, his son, lie in the old parish church; Coleridge lived a while here at Myrtle Cottage (1795); and Clevedon Court, a mediaeval mansion of singular beauty, though much damaged by fire in 1882, is the 'Castlewood' of Thackeray's Esmond. The population is about 6000.
Cleves (Ger. Kleve, Dutch Kleef), a town of Rhenish Prussia, 2 1/2 miles from the Rhine, and 48 NW. of Dusseldorf. The fine old castle, the Schwanenburg, partly built on a commanding rock, is the reputed scene of the legend of the Knight of the Swan, made familiar by Wagner's opera of Lohengrin. Anne of Cleves, fourth wife of Henry VIII., was born here. Cleves has manufactures of cotton and leather goods, tobacco, etc. Pop. 14,170.
Clew Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic, on the west coast of County Mayo, about 15 miles long by 9 broad. At the entrance is Clare Island (3949 acres; pop. 62), which, as well as Inishgort (27 acres; pop. 23), has a lighthouse.
Clichy (Clee-shee'), a town on the Seine, to the north-west of Paris, of which it forms a suburb. It has numerous manufactories, especially of chemicals and catgut, and is much affected by washerwomen. Pop. 40,000.
Cliefden. See Cliveden.
Clifford Castle, a ruin on the Wye, Herefordshire, 2 miles NNB. of Hay, the traditional birthplace of Fair Rosamond.
Clifton. See Bristol.
Clinton, (1) capital of Clinton county, Iowa, on the Mississippi, here crossed by an iron railroad bridge, 4000 feet long, 60 miles SSE. of Dubuque by rail. It has numerous mills, foundries, and factories, and a trade in lumber and grain. Pop. (1870) 6129; (1900) 22,698. - (2) A town of Massachusetts, on the Nashua River, 45 miles W. of Boston by rail. It has large manufactures of ginghams and plaids, carpets, combs, and machinery. Pop. 13,424. - (3) A post-village of New York, 9 miles WSW. of Utica, is the seat of Hamilton College (1812), a Presbyterian foundation. Pop. 1336.