Clermont (mediaeval Clair-mon"'; Clarus Mons, or Clarimontium), the name of several towns in France. (!) In the dep. of Oise, 41 miles N. of Paris by rail. Pop. 4617. - (2) Clermont-Ferrand (Roman Augustonemetum), the capital of the dep. of Puy-de-Dome, between the rivers Bedat and Allier, 135 miles S. of Paris by rail. Among its buildings are the old Gothic cathedral, built of dark lava from a neighbouring range of extinct volcanoes; the line church of Notre Dame, where Peter the Hermit preached the first Crusade; the handsome Palais des Facultes; and the government buildings, formerly a convent (1250). The chief manufactures are candied fruits, wax matches, chemicals, linen, rope, lace, and machines. There are several mineral springs. The bishopric of Clermont was founded in 253; and seven ecclesiastical councils were held here during the middle ages. A statue has been erected to Pascal, who, as well as Gregory of Tours, was a native of Clermont. Pop. (1872) 32,963; (1901) 45,367. - (3) Clermont l' Herault, 33 miles W. of Montpellier by rail. Pop. 4803.