Clitheroe, a municipal borough in Lancashire, on the Ribble, 35 miles N. of Manchester. It lies on a low eminence, at the base of Pendle Hill (1831 feet). Clitheroe has cotton and paper mills, and extensive lime-quarries are wrought in the neighbourhood. Its 12th-century castle was dismantled by the parliamentarians in 1649. The free grammar-school dates from 1554. Stony-hurst College (q.v.) lies 4 miles SW. A borough since about 1280, Clitheroe till 1832 returned two members to parliament, then till 1885 one. Pop. (1851) 7300; now 11,500. See Whitaker's History of Whalley and Clitheroe (1801; 4th ed. 1876).
Cliveden, a seat with noble woods in Bucks, on the Thames, 3 1/4 miles NNE. of Maidenhead. Originally built by Charles II.'s Duke of Buckingham, but burned in 1795 and 1849, it was sold in 1893 by the Duke of Westminster to the American millionaire, W. W. Astor.
Cloghan (Clo'an), a village of King's county, 5 miles NE. of Banagher.
Clogher (Clo'er), (1) a decayed episcopal city and quondam parliamentary borough of Tyrone, on the Blackwater, 15 miles SSE. of Omagh. The Protestant see is now united to Armagh. The cathedral and episcopal palace are handsome edifices. Pop. 225. - (2) A fishing-village of County Louth, 7 miles NE. of Drogheda. Pop. 653.
Clonakilty, a seaport of County Cork, at the head of Clonakilty Bay, 33 miles SW. of Cork. Pop. 3098.
Clonfert, an ancient episcopal city of Ireland, is in the extreme east of County Galway. The bishopric was founded in the 6th century, and ceased to be a separate Anglican one in 1602, being ultimately incorporated with Killaloe; but it is still the see of a Roman Catholic bishop.
Clonmacnoise, a holy place of Ireland, on the Shannon, 10 miles by river S. of Athlone. An abbey was founded here by St Kieran in 548; and the spot is still marked by the ruins of the 'seven churches' (including the ' cathedral,'the ruins of which belong to the church rebuilt in ]4th century), two round towers, and a great Celtic cross. This 'Iona of Ireland' was the burial-place of many princes.
Clonmel', a municipal borough in Tipperary and Waterford counties, on the Suir, 135 miles SW. of Dublin by rail. In 1650 Cromwell besieged it, and demolished the castle. It gave birth to Sterne and Lady Blessington, and was the scene of Smith O'Brien's attempted rising in 1848. Till 1885 it returned one member. Here Bianconi first established his jaunting-cars; and Clonmel is still a tourist centre. Pop. 10,167.
Clontarf, where in 1014 Brian Born defeated the Danes, was long famous as a watering-place, and in 1900 was incorporated with Dublin city.