Cloyne, an ancient episcopal town of County Cork, 15 miles ESE. of Cork. The cathedral was founded in the 6th century by St Colman; opposite is a finely preserved round tower over 90 feet high. The see, held once by Bishop Berkeley, is united to that of Cork; but there is also a Catholic diocese. Pop. 820.
Clugny (Clun-yee'), or Cluni, a town in the dep. of Saone-et-Loire, on the Grosne, 15 m. NW. of Macon by rail. Pop. 3618. Its famous Benedictine abbey (910-1790) attained a degree of splendour and influence unrivalled by any similar institution of the middle ages. The grand basilica or abbey church, commenced by St Hugh, the eighth abbot, in 1089, and dedicated by Pope Innocent II. in 1131, was, until the construction of St Peter's at Rome, the largest church in Christendom. Of this magnificent and imposing pile one tower and part of the transept alone remain; the site of the nave is traversed by a road. See two works by Sir G. F. Duckett (1886-88), with others in French by Pignot, Lorain, Penjon, Cucherat, and Champly.
Clusium. See Chiusi.
Clwyd (Kloo'id), a river of north Wales, rises on Craig Bronbanog, in Denbighshire, and runs 30 miles to the Irish Sea, below Ruthin flowing through the fertile Vale of Clwyd, 24 miles long, and 2 to 7 wide.
Clydesdale. See Clyde and Lanarkshire.
Clynder, a Dumbartonshire watering-place on the Gareloch. Pop. 331.
Cnossus, Gnossos, or Knossos, anciently the chief town of Crete, said to have been built by Minos, where since 1900 very important excavations of the great palace have been made by Mr A. J. Evans and others. It stood N. of the centre, three miles from the sea.
Coahuila (Ko-a-wee'la), a state of Mexico, next to Texas. Area, 64,000 sq. m.; pop. 281,000.
Coalbrookdale, in Shropshire, extends 8 miles along the Severn, rich in coal, iron, and lime.