Coblenz, or Koblenz (Ko-blentz), capital of Rhenish Prussia, 56 m. SSE. of Cologne by rail, at the junction of the Rhine and Moselle. It is very strongly fortified with a Avail and a series of detached forts, including the almost impregnable castle of Ehrenbreitstein (q.v.), on the opposite side of the Rhine. Among the principal build-ings are the church of St Castor (836), the oldest In the Rhine district; the Kaufhaus (1479); the Protestant Florins Kirche (12th century); the church of Our Lady (1250-1431); and the old Jesuit College, now a gymnasium. The extensive palace was built in 1778-86 by the last Elector of Treves, and restored in 1845. The favourable position of Coblenz secures it an active commerce in wine, corn, mineral waters, etc. It manufactures champagne (about 1,000,000 bottles annually, exported chiefly to England), cigars, japanned goods, and furniture. Pop. (1875) 29,290; (1901) 45,146. Coblenz (Fr. Coblence) was known to the Romans as Confluentes. From 1018 till 1796 it belonged to Treves. In 1798 it was made the capital of the new French dep. Rhine and Moselle, and by the treaty of 1815 was given to Prussia.