Coburg (Ko'boorg), capital of the duchy of Coburg, in the united duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, is picturesquely situated on the left bank of the Itz, 81 m. SSE." of Eisenach by rail. The ducal palace (1549) is one of the principal buildings, others being the government buildings, the arsenal, containing a public library, the town-house, and the palace of the Duke of Edinburgh. The old castle of Coburg, mentioned in 1057, beside which Coburg originally grew up, is situated on an eminence 530 feet above the town. It afforded Luther a shelter during the Diet of Augsburg in 1530, and in 1632 successfully resisted a siege by Wallenstein. In 1782 it was converted into a prison, but in 1838 it was thoroughly restored. Luther's apartments are preserved as he used them. Coburg has manufactures of woollen, cotton, marquetry, baskets, porcelain, furniture, and carriages, and exports beer. Pop. (1875) 14,567; (1900) 20,460. Prince Albert, to whom a statue was erected in the market-place of Coburg by Queen Victoria in 1865, was born at Rosenau, a ducal seat 4 miles to the north.