Collumpton. See Cullompton.
Colmar, the capital of the German district of Upper Alsace, on a plain near the Vosges, 42 miles SSW. of Strasburg. It is one of the chief seats of the cotton industry in Alsace, other manufactures being paper, leather, ribbons, and hosiery. Colmar is an old place, having been raised to the rank of a free imperial city in 1226. Fortified in 1552, its fortifications were razed in 1673 by Louis XIV. Pleasant boulevards now occupy their place. Colmar was formally ceded to France in 1697, but was recovered by Germany in 1871. Pop. (1875) 23,778; (1900) 36,800.
Colne, a town of East Lancashire, on a high ridge near the source of the Calder, a western branch of the Ribble, 26 miles N. of Manchester. It manufactures cotton calicoes and mousselines-de-laine. Pop. (1871) 7335; (1901) 23,000.
Colombo (Kalan-totta, ' the Kalany ferry'), the capital of Ceylon, is situated on the western side of the island. Since the construction of the great breakwater begun in 1875, the harbour has been greatly improved, especially by works in 1894-1906; trade has of late years vastly increased, Colombo having superseded Galle. It is the seat of an Anglican bishop, and is an important missionary centre. Colpetty, a beautiful suburb, shaded by groves of the cocoa-nut palm, is a favourite retreat. Lord Napier of Magdala was born here. The Portuguese, who fortified the place in 1517, altered its older name Kalambu, in honour of Columbus. The Dutch succeeded to the Portuguese, and to the Dutch the British in 1796. Pop. (1871) 100,238; (1901) 158,093.
Colon'. See Aspinwall.
Colonia, a dep. of Uruguay, on the Plata, below the Uruguay River. Area, 2200 sq. m.; population, 54,000. The capital, Colonia del Sacramento, on the Plata, 100 miles above Monte Video, has a good harbour, a dock for vessels of 1000 tons, and 1500 inhabitants.
Colonna, Cape (anc. Sunium Promontorinm), a Greek headland, the southmost point of Attica, crowned by a temple of Minerva, thirteen of whose white marble columns (whence the modern name) are still standing.
Colonsay and Oronsay, two of the Argyllshire Hebrides, 16 miles NNW. of Port Askaig in Islay, separated from each other by a sound, 100 yards wide, and dry at low-water. Colonsay, which rises to a height of 493 feet, is 16 sq. m. in area; Oronsay, only 3. On the latter are a sculdptured cross and a 14th-century Austin priory; whilst in the former are standing-stones, a bone cave, Colonsay House (1772), and an obelisk to the lawyer, Duncan M'Neill, Lord Colonsay (1794-1874). Pop. (1851) 933; (1901) 313, of whom 12 were in Oronsay.