Combaoonum (Kumbhakonam), one of the old-est and most sacred cities of southern India, in the centre of the richest part of the Kaveri delta, 193 miles SW. of Madras by rail, with Hindu temples, a government college, etc. Population, above 60,000.
Combe-Florey, a Somerset parish, 5 miles NE. of Wiveliscombe. Sydney Smith was rector.
Combemartin, a Devon coast-village, 4 miles E. of Ilfracombe. Pop. of parish, 1507.
Comines (Comeen'), a town on the borders of Belgium and France, 15 m. SW. of Courtrai by rail, divided by the Lys into two parts, of which that on the left (pop. 4381) belongs to Belgium; the other, on the right (pop. 6435), to France.
Comorin', Cape (Kumari), the most southerly extremity of the peninsula of India, in 8° 4' 20" N., and 77° 35' 35" E.
Co'moro Isles, a group of four islands belonging since 1886 to France, in the Mozambique Channel, between Africa and Madagascar. Area, 761 sq. m.; pop. 63,000. Of volcanic origin, and mountainous, attaining 8400 feet, they are four in number - Great Comoro or Angaziya, Anjouan or Johanna, Mohilla, and Mayotta; the last has been French since 1841. In all, the blood of the natives is partly Arab, partly Malagasy.
Compiegne (Com-pee-en'), a town in the French dep. of Oise, on the river Oise, a little below its junction with the Aisne, 52 miles NNB. of Paris by rail. It has three interesting churches, a Gothic hotel-de-ville with a fine belfry, and a palace, rebuilt by Louis XV., and splendidly fitted up by Napoleon. The beautiful Forest of Compiegne, 30,000 acres in area, was a favourite hunting-ground of the kings of France. The manufactures include canvas, cordage, and sugar. Pop. (1872) 11,859; (1901) 14,000. It was at the siege of Compiegne, in 1430, that the Maid of Orleans was captured; and here, in 1810, Napoleon first met Maria Louisa of Austria.
Compostella. See Santiago de Compostella.
Compstone, the ruined castle of the soldier-poet, Alexander Montgomerie, on Tarf Water, 2 1/2 miles N. by W. of Kirkcudbright.