Corcyra, the ancient name for Corfu (q.v.).
Cordilleras (Cor-dil-yay'ras; lit. 'chains'), a name of several American mountain-chains. The Ancles include the Cordilleras of South America, those to which the name is most frequently given; and the Rocky Mountains those of North America. Those of Central America extend from Darien to the north of Mexico, and gradually increase in elevation from the Isthmus of Panama, until they form magnificent plateaus, and reach a height of more than 17,000 feet in Mexico.
Cor'doba, a central province of the Argentine Republic. Area, 55,350 sq. m.; population, 430,000. The capital, Cordoba., lies in the valley of the Rio Primero, 246 miles WNW. of Rosario by rail. It has tramways, a cathedral, a handsome city-hall, a university (1613), etc Founded by Cabrera in 1573, the town was famous as a centre of the Jesuit missions. It was afterwards falling into decay, but the opening of the railway in 1870 has greatly restored its prosperity. Population, 50,000.
Cor'doba, a town of Mexico, 66 miles WSW. of Vera Cruz by rail. Pop. 12,302.
Cor'dova, or Cordoba, a city of Spain, 81 miles ENE. of Seville by rail. It stands on the right bank of the Guadalquivir, here crossed by the Moorish ' Puente Viejo' of sixteen arches. The old turreted walls enclose gardens and vineyards; but the interior shows narrow and dirty streets. Founded in 152 B.C. by the Romans as Corduba, and a great Moorish town from 711 a.d. until 1236, it has a cathedral, built as a mosque in the 8th century, the most magnificent Mohammedan temple in Europe. Cordova was formerly celebrated for its manufacture of goat leather, called cordovan, whence the term cordwain, but that industry is now almost entirely extinct. It manufactures silverware, silk fabrics, etc. Cordova was the birthplace of Lucan, Seneca, and Averroes. Pop. 58,466. - Area of Cordova province, 5190 sq. m.; pop. 456,000.
Corentyn, a river of South America, rising in 1° 50' N. lat., and flowing northward to the Atlantic between British and Dutch Guiana. It forms an estuary 25 miles wide.
Corfe Castle, a village-borough of Dorsetshire, in the ' Isle' of Purbeck, 4 miles SE. of Wareham. Its famous castle, the traditional scene of the murder of King Edward the Martyr, by his stepmother Elfrida (979), was gallantly defended in 1643 by Lady Bankes for six weeks against 600 Roundheads. Taken through treachery two years later, it was dismantled; and its beautiful ruins cover nearly 3 1/2 acres. Pop, of parish, 1708. See works by G. Bankes (1853) and T. Bond (1884).