Corrib, Lough, an isleted lake of counties Galway and Mayo, the second largest in Ireland. Lying only 30 feet above sea-level, it is 25 miles long from NW. to SE., and 1 to 6 broad, with an area of 68 sq. m. From its south end, 4 miles N. of Galway, it sends off the Galway River to Galway Bay. It receives the waters of Lough Mask, at its north end, through the Pigeon Hole and other caves, as well as those of the Clare, etc.
Corrlentes, a province of the Argentine Republic, between the Parana and Uruguay rivers. Area, 54,000 sq. m.; pop. 310,000. - The capital, Corrientes, 15 miles below the confluence of the Parana and the Paraguay, takes its name from seven currents formed by points of rock above the city. Steamers from Buenos Ayres (832 miles) touch here almost daily. Pop. 18,000.
Corstor'phine, a Midlothian village, 3 miles W. by S. of Edinburgh. Pop. 1500.
Corto'na (Lat. Crotona), in Tuscany, 69 miles SE. of Florence, stands 2130 feet above sea-level, looking down on the Trasimene Lake, and is one of the oldest cities in Europe, with mighty Cyclopean walls, Etruscan and Roman remains. Pop. 7000.
Corvo, the most northerly of the Azores (q.v.).
Cos (Italian, Stanko), a Turkish island of the Archipelago, off the coast of Asia Minor. Measuring 23 by 5 miles, it has an area of 110 sq. m., and a pop. of 10,000, mostly Greeks. It consists mostly of fertile and well-tilled plains, partially of hilly country; and exports lemons, grain, wine, cotton, and silk. The chief town is Cos or Co, on the north-east coast. Cos was famous of old for its wine, its amphorse, and its fine ' Coan garments.' It was the birthplace of Ptolemy Philadelphus, the painter Apelles, and the physician Hippocrates.