Covington, a city of Kentucky, on the Ohio, opposite Cincinnati, with which it is connected by a fine suspension bridge. It has distilleries, and manufactures of glass-ware, nails, and tobacco. Pop. (1850) 9408; (1900) 42,938.
Cowdenknowes. See Earlston.
Cowdray House. See Midhurst.
Cowes, a watering-place in the north corner of the Isle of Wight, 11 1/2 miles SSE. of Southampton by water, and 4 N. of Newport by rail. It consists of West and East Cowes, lying on opposite sides of the mouth of the Medina's estuary, and connected by steam-ferry. Standing on a hill-slope, West Cowes is the headquarters of the Royal Yacht Club (1815). Their club-house was originally a fort (1540). Yacht-building is the great speciality of Cowes, which has a fine promenade (1864), excellent hotels, baths, villas, etc. Slatwoods at East Cowes was Dr Arnold's birthplace, and in the vicinity are East Cowes Castle (1798), Norris Castle (1799), and Osborne House (1845). The last, built as a marine residence for Queen Victoria, is an Italian edifice, with a flag-tower 112 feet high, and beautiful grounds. Pop. of West Cowes (1851) 4786, (1901) 8654; of East Cowes (1861) 1954, (1901) 3180.
Cowie, a fishing-village near Stonehaven.
Cowley, a S. suburb of Oxford, giving name to the Anglican mission order of the ' Cowley Fathers' (1865).
Cowslip Green, Hannah More's home, Somerset, 10 miles SSW. of Bristol.
Coxhoe Hall, the birthplace of Mrs Browning, 5 1/2 miles SSE. of Durham.
Cradock, a town and health-resort of Cape Colony, 2800 feet above the sea, in the upper valley of the Great Fish River, and half-way between Port Elizabeth and Colesberg. It is a centre of the wool trade. Pop. 7800.
Craigcrook, Lord Jeffrey's seat, 3 1/4 miles W. of Edinburgh.
Craigenputtock, Carlyle's moorland home (1828-34), 15 miles WNW. of Dumfries.
Craig Gowan, a height (1437 feet) near Balmoral, with cairns to the royal family.