Craighall

Craighall, New, a collier village of Midlothian, 2 miles WSW. of Musselburgh. Pop. 1650 Craigieburn, 3 miles E. of Moffat, a wood celebrated by Burns.

Craigleith

Craigleith, a huge quarry 2 miles W. by N. of Edinburgh.

Craigmillar

Craigmillar, a fine ruined castle (1427-1661), 3 miles SE. of Edinburgh.

Craignethan

Craignethan, a ruined castle (Scott's 'Tillie-tudlem') in Lanarkshire, 5 1/2 miles WNW. of Lanark.

Craigneuk

Craigneuk, part of Wishaw (q.v.).

Craigphadrick

Craigphadrick. See Inverness.

Crail an antique little coast-town in the ' East Neuk' of Fife, 2 1/2 miles WSW. of Fife Ness, and 10 SE. of St Andrews. There is a fragment of a castle of David I.; and an interesting church, in which Knox preached, and of which Sharp was minister. A royal burgh since 1306, Crail with St Andrews, etc. returns an M.P. Pop. 1070.

Craiova

Craiova. See Krajova.

Cramond

Cramond, a village at the Almond's influx to the Firth of Forth, 5 miles WNW. of Edinburgh.

Cranborne

Cranborne, a Dorset town, 9 miles NNE. of Wimborne. Pop. of parish, 2824.

Cranbrook

Cranbrook, a pleasant little market-town in the Weald of Kent, 46 miles SE. of London. It has a fine Perpendicular church, and a large trade in hops. From the 14th to the 17th century it was the centre of the broadcloth manufacture introduced by the Flemings. Pop. of parish, 3950. See Tarbutt's Annals of Cranbrook (1875).

Cranganore

Cranganore (Kodungalur), a town in Cochin state, on the west coast of southern India. It stands on an opening of the Cochin backwater, 18 miles N. of Cochin town. Pop. 10,000.

Cranston

Cranston, a town of Rhode Island, 4 miles by rail SW. of Providence, with calico and woollen works, etc. Pop. (1S80) 5940; (1900)13.343.

Crarae

Crarae, a place with granite quarries on Loch Fyne, 9 1/2 miles SSW. of Inveraray.

Crathie and Braemar

Crathie and Braemar, Aberdeenshire, the Deeside parish in which is Balmoral (q.v.).

Craven Arms

Craven Arms, Shropshire, a junction, 20 miles S. of Shrewsbury.

Crecy-en-Ponthieu

Crecy-en-Ponthieu, or Cressy, a village in the French dep. of Somme, on the Maye, 12 miles N. of Abbeville. Here, on 26th August 1346, Edward III. won a great victory over the French.

Crediton

Crediton, or Kirkton, a Devon town, on the Creedy, a tributary of the Exe, 7 miles NW. of Exeter. It suffered much by fire in 1743 and 1769, but its church is a fine old cruciform structure. The traditional birthplace of St Boniface, the apostle of Germany, Crediton was the seat from 910 to 1050 of a bishopric, transferred then to Exeter. Its woollen manufactures are a thing of the past. Pop. (1851) 3924; (1901) 3974.

Creedmoor

Creedmoor, a village of Long Island.

Creetown

Creetown, a Kirkcudbrightshire seaport, 4 miles NE. of Wigtown. Pop. 991.

Creil

Creil, a French manufacturing town in Oise, and 22 miles SE. of Beauvais, where metal-work and earthenware are largely produced. Pop. 11,000.

Crema

Crema (Kray'ma), a cathedral city of Lombardy, 27 miles NW. of Cremona by rail. Pop. 8251.