Cremona, a decayed city of northern Italy, on the north bank of the Po, 60 miles SE. of Milan by rail. Among its buildings are the cathedral (1107-1606), with gorgeous interior; the neighbouring octagonal Baptistery; the Palazzo Publico (1245); the Campo Santo; and the famous Torrazzo (1288) or belfry - the loftiest campanile in Italy, 396 feet high. It has a river traffic, and manufactures of silk, cotton, earthenware, and chemicals; in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries it was greatly celebrated for its violins, the most famous makers being the Amati, Straduarius, and the Guarnieri. Pop. 37,930.
Cressy. See Crecy.
Creuse (nearly Krehz), a river and a dep. in central France. The river flows 146 miles northwestward to the Vienne, a tributary of the Loire. - The dep., with an area of 2150 sq. m., had a pop. of (1872) 274,663; (1901) 277,831.
Creusot, Le (Kreh-zo'), a town in the French dep. of Saone-et-Loire, 14 miles SSE. of Autun, and 236 SSE. of Paris. It owes its importance to the huge ironworks (1837) of Schneider & Co., at which cannon are largely made. Pop. (1846) 4012; (1901) 30,175.
Crevecœur (Krehv-kehr'; Fr.'heart-breaker'), a once famous Dutch fort at the confluence of the Meuse and Dieze, 4 miles NNW. of Bois-le-Duc. It figures in history 1587-1794. - The same name is borne by French villages in Nord and in Oise.
Crewe, a town of Cheshire, with a great railway junction and the huge works (1843) of the London and North-Western Railway, to which it owes its present importance. It is 158 miles NW. of London, 43 SE. of Liverpool, 31 SSW. of Manchester, and 53 NW. of Birmingham. About 1840 there were only two or three houses where Crewe now stands; but since then its pop. has grown to 4491 in 1851, 17,810 in 1871, and 42,074 in 1901. Naturally Crewe is not an attractive place; still, the L. & N.W. Company have erected many handsome buildings, done much in the way of sanitation, and in 1887-88 presented the town with a beautiful park of 40 acres. Crewe was incorporated in 1877, and the borough boundary was extended in 1892. Lord Crewe's seat, Crewe Hall, by Inigo Jones, was burnt in 1866, but has been since rebuilt.
Crewkerne, a Somerset market-town, in the fertile valley of the Parret, 15 miles SE. of Taunton. It has a cruciform Perpendicular church, with a splendid west front; a grammar-school (1499), occupying new buildings; and manufactures of sailcloth, girth-web, hair-seating, etc. Pop. 4226.