Cricklade, a town in Wiltshire, on the Isis or Thames, 7 miles NNW. of Swindon. Enfran-chised under Edward I., it returned two members till 1885, the 'borough' since 1782 having included forty-four parishes and parts of six others, with a pop. of 51,000. Pop. in 1901 of rural district (Cricklade and Wootton Bassett) 11,357. Crieff (Kreeff), a Perthshire town, on the Earn's left bank, 18 in. W. of Perth by two branch-lines opened in 1856-66. It is situated in the midst of exquisite scenery, enjoys a pure dry climate, has a large hydropathic (1867), two old market-crosses, and Morrison's Academy (1859). Of many neighbouring seats, Drummond Castle (1491), Lord Willoughby de Eresby's, is famous for its gardens. Pop. (1851) 3824; (1901) 5208.
Criffel, a Kirkcudbrightshire hill (1867 feet), 2 1/4 miles S. by W. of Newabbey.
Crinan Canal, 9 miles long, in Argyllshire, between Loch Gilp, a branch of Loch Fyne, and Loch Crinan, in the Sound of Jura, at the head of the peninsula of Kintyre. Constructed in 1793-1801 at a cost of £183,000, it is 24 feet broad and 10 deep, has 15 locks, and admits vessels of 200 tons.
Croatia and Slavonia (Hung. Horvat-Szlavon-orszag); form since 1881, together with their former 'Military Frontier,' a crown-land belonging to the Hungarian section of Austria, lying between the Adriatic Sea on the SW., where Croatia has a seaboard of about 84 miles, and Hungary on the NB. Area, 16,352 sq. m.; pop. about 2,500,000. The surface of Croatia falls mainly into a wooded mountain district, attaining 5751 feet. The province belongs to the basin of the Danube, its most important rivers being the Drave and Save. In Slavonia extensive marshes are found along the main rivers. Warm mineral springs are numerous, and earthquakes, especially about Agram, are frequent. The Adriatic coast is poorly supplied with harbours. The people are Slavs. Agram is the capital.
Cromer, a pleasant watering-place of Norfolk, 23 miles N. of Norwich by rail (1877). The sea has made great encroachments on the cliffs since 1350, though the town itself is now protected by a sea-wall, formed in 1877, with an esplanade and a jetty, at a cost of nearly £10,000. There are capital sands and golf-links (1887), and the church has a noble flint-work tower of 160 feet. Pop. of urban district, 3781. Lord Cromer (Sir Evelyn Baring) was born here. See W. Rye's Cromer Past and Present (1889).