Crom'arty, a town of Ross and Cromarty, on the south shore of the Cromarty Firth, 2 miles from its entrance, and 19 NNE. of Inverness. Nothing remains of the old stronghold of the Urquharts, the most famous of whom was Rabelais' translator, Sir Thomas. Hugh Miller was a native. With Wick, etc, Cromarty returns a member to parliament. Pop. 1242. - Cromarty Firth, a land-locked inlet, extends 19 1/2 miles north-eastward and eastward to the Moray Firth. It forms a noble harbour, 1 mile to 7| miles broad, and 5 to 35 fathoms deep; receives at its head the Conon; and narrows at its entrance to 7 furlongs, between the beetling North and South Sutors, 400 and 463 feet high. On its shores are the towns of Dingwall, Invergordon, and Cromarty. - Crom'artyshire, a Scottish county, 369 sq. m. in area, but consisting of ten detached portions, and scattered up and down Ross-shire, with which, under the Local Government (Scotland) Act of 1889, it is finally incorporated. It comprised the ancient sheriffdom of Cromarty, and outlying bits annexed thereto towards the close of the 17th century at the instigation of Viscount Tarbat (created Earl of Cromarty, 1703), who wished thus to hold jurisdiction over every part of his estates. See Sir W. Fraser's Earls of Cromarty (2 vols. 1876).