Crompton, a northern suburb of Oldham.
Cronstadt, a strongly fortified Russian sea-port, 20 miles W. of St Petersburg, on a narrow island 7 miles long, at the narrowest part of the Gulf of Finland, and over against the mouth of the Neva. Founded by Peter the Great in 1710, it is at once the greatest naval station and the most flourishing commercial port of Russia. It is the seat of the Russian Admiralty; has three harbours; and since 1884 has been connected with St Petersburg by a ship-canal 207 feet wide and 22 feet deep. Cronstadt contains a cathedral, a statue of Peter the Great, and a British seamen's hospital (1867). Pop. 61,000., Cronstadt, in Hungary. See Kronstadt.
Crossmaglen', an Armagh market-town, 3 miles NE. of Culloville. Pop. 774.
Crossraguel ('Cross of St Regulus'), a ruined Clugniac abbey (1244) in Ayrshire, 2 miles SW. of May bole.
Cross River. See Calabar.
Crosthwaite, the parish containing Keswick (q.v.). In its churchyard is Southey's grave.
Crotona. See Cortona.
Crowland, or Croyland, a Lincolnshire market-town, on the Welland, in the Fens, 10 miles NNE. of Peterborough. Here in 716 King Ethel-wald founded a monastery, which, restored in 1113, became a mitred Benedictine abbey of singular magnificence. The north aisle of its church now serves as the parish church; the so-called ' triangular' bridge, now waterless, was built by an abbot about 1380. Pop. of parish, 2800. See Perry's Crowland Abbey (1867).
Crowle, a market-town of Lincolnshire, 7 miles E. by S. of Thome. Pop. of parish, 2741.
Croyland. See Crowland.
Crystal Palace. See Sydenham.
Csaba, a town of Hungary, 7 miles S. of Bekes by rail. Pop. 37,616.
Csanad, a village in Hungary, on the Maros, 22 miles E. of Szegedin. Pop. 2977.