Cullod'en, or Drummossie Muir, a broad flat sandstone ridge, 300 to 500 feet high, 6 miles ENE. of Inverness. Planting and culture have changed its aspect much since 16th April 1746, when it was the scene of the defeat of Prince Charles Edward by the Duke of Cumberland. Since 1881 a cairn, 20 feet high, marks the battlefield. Within 2 miles stands Culloden House, the seat of Duncan Forbes.
Culna. See Kalna.
Culross (Koo'ros), a pretty old-world village of Fife (till 1889 Perthshire detached), on the north shore of the Firth of Forth, 7 miles W. by S. of Dunfermline. With memories of SS. Serf and Kentigern, it has remains of a Cistercian abbey (1217), but has lost its manufacture of 'girdles,' its salt-works, shipping, and submarine coal-mines. A royal burgh since 1588, it unites with Stirling, etc. to return one member. Pop. 350. See Beveridge's Culross (1885).
Cults, a Fife parish, the birthplace of Wilkie, 4 1/2 miles SW. of Cupar.
Cumana, a town of Venezuela, on the Man-zanares, a mile above its mouth, where the port of Puerto Sucre lies on the Gulf of Cariaco. It is the oldest European town in South America, having been founded by Columbus's son Diego as New Toledo in 1521. It was almost destroyed by earthquake in 1853. Pop. 12,051.
Cumberland Island (so called) is a peninsula of Baffin Land, extending into Davis Strait.
Cumbrae, Big or Great, an island of Buteshire, in the Firth of Clyde, 2 1/4 miles E. of Bute at the narrowest, and 1 1/8 mile WSW. of Largs. With the shape of a shark's tooth, it is 3 3/4 miles long, 2 broad, 10 1/2 in circumference, and 5 sq. m. in area. It rises 417 feet, and consists of Old Red sandstone, with wall-like trap-dykes intersecting it. The Marquis of Bute is sole proprietor. Millport, on the south shore, 19 miles SSW. of Greenock, is a crowded resort in summer. Pop. (1801) 506; (1901) 1754, of whom 1663 were in Millport. - Little Cumbrae, 1 1/2 mile SSW. of Millport, is barely 1 sq. m. in area. It rises 409 feet, and has a lighthouse (1826). Pop. 17.
Cumbria. See Strathclyde.
Cumnock, Old, a town of Ayrshire, on Lugar Water, 18 miles by rail E. of Ayr. The manufacture of wooden snuff-boxes was many years since transferred to Mauchline, and mining is now the chief industry. The Covenanting' prophet,' Peden (1626-86), lies in the churchyard. Dumfries House (Marquis of Bute) is 2 miles to the west. Pop. 3104. - New Cumnock, on the Nith, 5 1/2 miles SE. of Old Cumnock, has 1514 inhabitants.