Cutch (Kachchh), a protected principality under the government of Bombay, stretches along the Gulf of Cutch and the Indian Ocean between Gujarat and Sind. Excluding the Rann of Cutch, it is 160 miles long from E. to W., 30 to 70 broad, and 6500 sq. m. in area. Earthquakes have occurred. The population is about 500,000. The capital is Bhuj. The Rann or Runn of Cutch - subdivided into two parts, the smaller, of nearly 2000 sq. m., on the east, and the larger, of 7000 sq. m., on the north - is a desert, being mainly caked, hard ground during the dry season, and in the rainy a sort of shallow lake. It is supposed to have been originally a permanent inlet of the ocean. The periodical disappearance of the waters leaves behind it one continuous crust of salt.
Cut Hill, a Dartmoor eminence (1971 feet).
Cuttack (Kataka, 'the fort'), a town of Orissa, Bengal, immediately below the bifurcation of the Mahanadi, 220 miles SW. of Calcutta. It is chiefly notable for its filigree-work in gold and silver. Pop. 53,500.
Cuzco (Kooz-ko), a city of Peru, 11,440 feet above sea-level, in a valley of the Andes, 345 miles ESE. of Lima. It was the ancient capital of the Incas, and at the time of its conquest by Pizarro (1533) had 200,000 inhabitants. Now it has only some 28,000, but it is a fine city, with a cathedral (1572-1654) and a university (1598).
Cyc'lades. See Archipelago.
Cydnus, a river of Cilicia, rising on the south side of the Taurus range, and flowing past Tarsus, and a broad sand-choked lagoon, into the sea. Alexander nearly lost his life through bathing in it when overheated.
Czaslau (Tchas'low; Czech Caslav), a town of Bohemia, 40 miles ESE. of Prague by rail. In its churcli the Hussite leader Ziska was buried; and here Frederick the Great defeated the Austrians in 1742. Pop. 8878.
Czenstochau (Tchen'sto-how), or Czenstochowa, a town of Poland, 148 miles SW. of Warsaw by rail. A Catholic monastery (c. 1382) is visited yearly by over 50,000 pilgrims, as possessing the famous 'Black Virgin,' a murky Byzantine painting ascribed to St Luke. Pop. 45,522.
Czernowitz (Tcher-no'vitz), capital of the pro. vince of Bukowina, near the right bank of the Pruth, 165 miles SE. of Lemberg by rail. It has the palace of a Greek archbishop (1875); his cathedral (1804), on the model of St Isaac's at St Petersburg; an Armenian church (1875); a synagogue (1877); the ' Austria Monument' (1875); and a university (1875) with nearly 300 students. Pop. (1869) 33,884; (1900) 69,620.