Daer Water. See Clyde.
Dahlia. See Arabia.
Dahra, a district of Algeria, to the east of Mostaganem, and near the coast.
Dakota. See North and South Dakota.
Dalbeattie, a Kirkcudbrightshire town, near Urr Water, 15 miles SW. of Dumfries. Founded in 1780, it owed its importance to the neighbouring Craignair granite quarries (now largely exhausted). Pop.(1841) 1430; (1901) 3469.
Dalhousie Castle, the seat of the Earl of Dal-housie, in Midlothian, on the South Esk, 2 1/4 miles S. by W. of Dalkeith.
Dalias, a Spanish mining town, 18 miles WSW. of Almeria. Pop. 6294.
Dalkeith, a town of Midlothian, 6 miles SE. of Edinburgh, on a tongue of land between the North and South Esks. There is a large corn exchange (1855); of nearly a dozen places of worship the only old one is the parish church, collegiate once, of which Norman Macleod was minister. Dalkeith Palace, a seat of the Duke of Buccleuch, is a Grecian edifice, built in 1700 by Sir John Vanbrugh for Monmouth's widowed duchess. Professor Tait was born here. Pop. (1841) 4831; (1901) 6812.
Dalkey (Dal-kee'), a delightfully situated coast-town, 8 miles SE. of Dublin. Pop. 3397.
Dallas, capital of Dallas county, Texas, on Trinity River, 265 miles NNW. of Houston. A flourishing place, it has flour-mills and grain-elevators, foundries, and manufactures of woollens, soap, etc. Pop. (1880) 10,358; (1900) 42,640.
Dalles. See Columbia River.
Dalmahoy, the Earl of Morton's Midlothian seat, 1 1/2 mile S. by E. of Ratho. Near it are the Dalmahoy Crags (680 feet).