Dalmatia, a narrow strip of Austrian territory extending along the Adriatic. Area, 4940 sq. m.; pop. (1901)591,600. The coast is steep and rocky, and the chief towns, all on the coast, are Zara, Sebenico, Lissa, Spalato, Brazza, Ragusa, and Cattaro. The country is mountainous, Orjen, near Cattaro, attaining 6235 feet. Only one-ninth of the land is arable, mainly the coast strip. Nearly half is in pasture, and a third in wood. The numerous islands are not very fertile.
Dalny, the Russian name for Ta-lien-wan, a port in the Manchurian Liao-tung peninsula, 20 miles NE. of Port Arthur. One terminus of the Trans-Siberian railway, it was occupied by the Japanese in 1904. Pop. 50,000.
Dairy, (1) a town of Ayrshire, on the Garnock, 23 miles SW. of Glasgow, with neighbouring ironworks (1845). Pop. 5316. - (2) A village in the north of Kirkcudbright, 8 miles NW. of New Galloway. - (3) A place in Perthshire, near Tyn-drum, the scene of a skirmish between Bruce and Macdougal of Lorn (1306).
Dalton-in-Furness, a town of Lancashire, 16 miles WNW. of Lancaster, communicating with the sea by a canal (3 1/2 miles). It has extensive malting and ironworks; and the ruins of Furness Abbey (q.v.) are in the vicinity. Romney was a native. Pop. (1861) 2812; (1901) 13,020.
Daman', a Portuguese settlement and port in the province of Gujarat, on the Gulf of Cambay, 100 miles N. of Bombay. The settlement consists of Daman proper (22 sq. m.), and the par-gand of Nagar Havili (60 sq. m.), with magnificent teak forests to the east. Pop. of former, 56,300; of latter, 12,650. The port stands at the mouth of the Daman-Ganga, a deep, navigable stream, with a bar at its mouth. The Portuguese have held Nagar Havili since 1780 only, but Daman has been occupied by them since 1558.
Daman-i-Koh ('skirts of the hills'), a hilly tract of Bengal, reserved for the Santals, etc. Area, 1366 sq. m.; pop. 353,413.
Dam'araland, or Damaland, in the west of South Africa, between Nainaqualand and Ovampo-land, extending from the Atlantic to about 19° 45' E. long. Behind the waterless coast region (100 miles) rises a mountain district, with peaks over 8500 feet above the sea; and farther inland stretch wide prairies. The mountains are rich in minerals, especially copper. The produce of the interior consists of ivory, feathers, skins, etc. The Damaras, properly Herero, a Bantu stem, number about 80,000; they are nomads, and own large flocks and herds. The Hawkoin, or Hill Damaras, in the north-east, however, who are a much lower type, now speak Hottentot. Since 1886 Damaraland is part of German SW. Africa. The only harbour in this part of the coast is Walvisch Bay (q.v.), which is British; it was annexed to Cape Colony in 1884.