Danzig, or Dantzic (Polish Gdansk), a great seaport and fortress, capital of West Prussia, on the left bank of the western branch of the Vistula, 284 miles NE. of Berlin, and 4 from the river's mouth in the shallow Gulf of Danzig, an inlet of the Baltic. In the 10th century its possession was disputed by Danes, Pomeranians, Prussians, Bran-denburgers, Poles, and the Teutonic Knights; the last held it 1308-1454, when it became a free city under Poland. In 1793 it fell to Prussia. The city is traversed by the Motlau and Radaune, tributaries of the Vistula, the former of which admits vessels drawing 15 feet up to the Speich-erinsel. The principal port, however, is at the mouth of the Vistula, below the sand-bars. Among the most noteworthy buildings are the large church of St Mary (1343-1502), with a noble 'Last Judgment,' probably by Mending, and a finely-carved altar of wood; the church of St Catharine (1326-30); the fine old Gothic town-hall; the old exchange; and the Franciscan monastery, now a museum and school. Once a great Hanse town, Danzig is still one of the chief commercial cities of northern Europe. The manufactures include beer, spirits (Danzig Gold-wasser), sugar, tobacco, flour, iron-wares, machinery, amber, gold and silver ornaments; and there are also an imperial dockyard and an artillery arsenal. Pop. (1880) 108,551; (1900) 140,540.