Dawson, at the confluence of the Klondike with the Yukon, 1500 miles from its mouth, is the capital of the Yukon territory of Canada, since 1896 the centre of the Klondike gold-mining industry. Pop. 12,000.
Dax, a town in the French dep. of Landes, on the Adour, 93 miles S. by W. of Bordeaux by rail, with a 14th-century castle, now a barrack, remains of Roman walls, a cathedral, etc. Its hot sulphur-springs (77°-144° F.) were known to the Romans, who called the place Aquœ Tarbellai; in the middle ages it was called Acqs. Pop. 9716.
Dayton, capital of Montgomery county, Ohio, on the Great Miami, at the mouth of the Mad River, 60 miles NNE. of Cincinnati by rail. The public buildings include a court-house of white marble and a large jail. Standing on the line of the Miami Canal (opened 1829), the city is the terminus of eight railroads, and the water of the Mad River is brought through its streets by an hydraulic canal, supplying abundant water-power. It manufactures railroad-cars, cotton, woollen, and iron goods, oil, flour, paper, and machinery. Pop. (1870) 30,473; (1890) 61,220; (1900) 85,333.
Dean, Forest of, a picturesque hilly tract, 34 sq. m. in extent, in the west of Gloucestershire, between the Severn and the Wye. An ancient royal forest, it was almost entirely disafforested by Charles I., on a sale to Sir John Wintour, but was re-afforested very shortly after the Restoration. The greater part still remains crown property; and about one-half is appropriated for the growth of timber for the navy. It is divided into six 'walks,' which contain woods of oak, beech, etc. There are coal and iron mines, and quarries of stone suitable for building and making grindstones, troughs, and rollers. The deer were exterminated in 1854.
Deanston. See Doune.
Debenham, a small Suffolk town, 8 miles NNE. of Needham Market. Pop. of parish, 1219.
De'breczen, a town of Hungary, in the midst of a wide plain, 130 miles E. of Pesth by rail. It is a large straggling place, indeed really a collection of villages. It has, however, a fine town-hall, a large Protestant college, a theatre, etc. The inhabitants are largely dependent on agriculture; enormous herds of cattle graze on the fertile stretches of plain. There are also manufactures of soap, saltpetre, flour, sausages, hams, and tobacco-pipes. Population, 73,500, nearly all Protestants. The ' Rome of the Calvinists,' Debreczen was long the headquarters of the Reformed faith, and suffered much therefor. It took a prominent part in the revolution of 1849.