Decatnr

Deca'tnr, capital of Macon county, Illinois, on the Sangamon River, 39 miles E. of Springfield. It has woollen, planing, and flour mills. Pop. (1880) 9547; (1900) 20,700.

Decazeville

Decazeville (De-kahz-veel'), a town in the dep. of Aveyron, 110 miles NNE. of Toulouse by rail, with iron and coal mines near by, and great blast-furnaces and ironworks. Pop. 6684.

Deccan

Deccan (from dakshin, 'the south'), a term applied sometimes to the whole Indian peninsula to the south of the Vindhya Mountains, which separate it from the basin of the Ganges, and sometimes restricted to that portion which is rather vaguely bounded N. by the Nerbudda, and S. by the Kistna or Krishna.

Deception Island

Deception Island, a volcanic island belonging to the South Shetland group in the Antarctic Ocean, directly south of Cape Horn.

Deddington

Deddington, an Oxfordshire market-town, 6 miles S. of Banbury. Piers Garveston was seized in its ruined castle (1312). Pop. of parish, 1777.

Dedham

Dedham, an Essex village, on the Stour, 3 1/2 miles W. by N. of Manningtree, with a school (1571). Pop. of parish, 1485.

Deel

Deel, a river of Cork and Limerick, flowing 28 miles to the Shannon.

Deepdene

Deepdene. See Dorking.

Deeping

Deeping, Market, a market-town of Lincolnshire, on the Welland, 7 3/4 miles SSE. of Bourn. Pop. of parish, 979.

Deer

Deer, Old, a village of Buchan, Aberdeenshire, 36 miles N. of Aberdeen. Here, about 580 a.d., St Columba and Drostan, his nephew, established a monastery, which William Comyn, Earl of Buchan, refounded about 1219 for Cistercian monks. The larger village of New Deer, to the W., has 736 inhabitants.

Dees

Dees, a town of Transylvania, on the Szamos, 37 miles NNE. of Klausenburg by rail. Pop. 9191.

Deggendorf

Deggendorf, a town of Lower Bavaria, on the Danube, 39 miles NW. of Passau, with a chinch visited by thousands of pilgrims. Pop. 7000.

Dehra

Dehra, headquarters of the Dehra Dun district of the Meerut division of Agra province, in a mountain valley 2300 feet above the sea, with a great imperial school of forestry. Pop. 29,000. See also Derajat.

Deils Dyke

Deil's Dyke, or Picts' Dyke, an ancient fortification of Galloway, extending from Loch Ryan to the upper part of the Solway Firth.

Deir-el-kamar

Deir-el-kamar (' convent of the moon'), a town of Syria, formerly the capital of the Druses, 13 miles SSE. of Beyrout. Pop. 8000.

Delfsliaven

Delfsliaven (Delfshah'ven), a Dutch town, incorporated with Rotterdam in 1886, so as to become a western section of the city.

Delft

Delft, an ancient town of South Holland, on the Schie, 8 miles NW. of Rotterdam. Its town-hall (1618) is a picturesque and richly adorned edifice. The New Church (1476) contains a monument to William the Silent, who was assassinated here, 10th July 1584, as also the tomb of Grotius, and the burial-vaults of the present royal family. The Old Church contains the tomb of the naturalist Leeuwenhoek, and of the great admiral Tromp. Delft has also a state arsenal, an East Indian college, and a polytechnic. There are some manufactures of fine carpets, casks, baskets; but Delft has quite lost its high reputation for delf-ware, so famous from the 16th to the 18th century. Pop. (1876) 23,804; (1901) 31,878.