Delaware, one of the Atlantic States of the American Union, forms a part of a peninsula lying between the lower reaches of the Susquehanna and Chesapeake Bay on the west, and the Delaware River and Bay and Atlantic Ocean on the east. With an area of 1960 sq. m., or little more than that of Northumberland, it is the smallest of all the states, except Rhode Island. Save in a small hilly section in the north, nearly all the surface is low and level, and in the extreme south there is much swampy land; while the most southern two-fifths of the area is in great part a sandy region. The coast-region has many salt-marshes; farther inland is a considerable body of extremely rich alluvial soil. The western border is generally well wooded, and in some places flat and marshy. The rivers are mostly small, but many are navigable. In the north kaolin and iron ore are found, and bog ore or limonite occurs in other parts. The state is well provided with railroad facilities, and is crossed by a canal connecting the Delaware and Chesapeake bays. The northern section has large and varied manufacturing interests. Peaches and the various small fruits, as well as market-garden products, are leading articles of export; the principal cereal crops are maize, wheat, and oats. Pop. (1870) 125,015; (1900) 184,735. The principal towns are Wilmington, New Castle, Dover (the state capital), and Smyrna. Delaware's first permanent white settlements were made by Swedes and Finns in 1638; Dutch and Swedes contended for this region, till in 1655 it passed under Dutch sway. After the transfer of New Amsterdam (now New York) to the English in 1664, Delaware became English also. Delaware, a slave-state until 1861-65, took no part in the secession movement.
Delaware, the capital of Delaware county, Ohio, on the Whetstone River, 24 miles by rail N. of Columbus. It has foundries, flour and woollen mills, etc, chalybeate and sulphur springs, and a Wesleyan University (1842). President Hayes was a native. Pop. 7950.