Delos (also anciently Asteria, Ortygia), an island in the Grecian Archipelago, the smallest (little more than 1 sq. m.) of the Cyclades, between the islands Rhenea and Mykonus. The town of Delos, which stood at the foot of Mount Cynthus, a granite crag 347 feet high, is now a mass of ruins. Still, however, the remains of the great temple of Apollo (whom Leto gave birth to here), and of his colossal statue, may be distinctly traced. Since 1877 extensive excavations have been prosecuted for the French Archaeological Institute.
Delphi, an ancient Greek town in Phocis, celebrated chiefly for its famous oracle of Apollo, 8 miles N. of the northern shore of the Gulf of Lepanto, at the southern base of Parnassus. The modern town of Kastri now occupies the site, in the neighbourhood of the source of the still flowing Castalian spring.
Delvino, a town of Albania, 45 miles WNW. of Janina, with a strong castle. Pop. 6000.
Dembea, Lake. See Tzana.
Demerara (Dem-y-rah'ra), a county of British Guiana (q.v.), takes its name from the Demerara River, which rises in the Maccari Mountains, in about 4° 40' N. lat., and after a northerly course of 200 miles, enters the Atlantic at Georgetown. The mouth is l 1/2 mile wide, but is obstructed by a bar at low tides.
Demir-Hissar (' iron-castle'), a town of European Turkey, on a tributary of the Struma, 45 miles NE. of Saloniki. Pop. 8000.
Denain (Deh-nangr), a town in the French dep. of Nord, near the Scheldt and Selle rivers, 20 miles NNE. of Cambrai by rail. It lies in the centre of an extensive coalfield, and has manufactures of iron, beet-root sugar, and brandy. An obelisk marks the scene of Marshal Villars's victory over the allies under Prince Eugene, 27th July 1712. Pop. 23,500.
Denbigh (Den'by), a municipal borough, county town of Denbighshire, near the middle of the Vale of Clwyd, 30 miles W. of Chester by rail. Its imposing ruined castle, which was rebuilt in 1284, and in which Charles I. took refuge (1645), was dismantled by the parliamentarians. Denbigh manufactures shoes and leather, but is residential more than commercial. With Ruthin, Holt, and Wrexham, it returns one member. A lunatic asylum for North Wales was erected in 1848, and in 1860 a noble institution for twentyfive orphan girls, and as many day pupils, from money left in 1540 by one Thomas Howell. Pop. 6500.