Den'derah (Gr. Tentyra; Coptic Tentore, prob-ably from Tei-n-Athor, 'abode of Athor'), a village of Upper Egypt, once a populous town, near the Nile's left bank, in 26° 13' N. lat., 32° 40' E. long. Its temple, one of the finest and best-preserved structures of the kind in Egypt, dates from the period of Cleopatra and the earlier Roman emperors. It measures 220 by 50 feet.
Dendermonde (Dendermon'deh; Fr. Termonde), a town of Belgium, at the confluence of the Dender and the Scheldt, 18 miles E. of Ghent by rail. The fortifications, destroyed in 1784, were restored in 1822. Pop. 10,200.
Dennewitz (Den'neh-veetz), a village 42 miles SSW. of Berlin. Here, on 6th September 1813, the Prussians defeated the French, Saxons, and Poles.
Dennystown, a suburb of Dumbarton.
D'Entrecasteaux Islands (Dongtr-cas-to'), sine 1884 part of British New Guinea, lie north of the south-eastern extremity of New Guinea. With an area of 1083 sq. m., they comprise three chief islands, and are named after the French admiral and explorer, Bruni D'Entrecasteaux (1739-93), who visited them in 1792. His name is also preserved in D'Entrecasteaux Point on the south-west coast of Western Australia; and in D'Entrecasteaux Channel, separating the south of Tasmania from Brune Island.
Derajat', the fluvial portion of Daman, a strip of territory between the Suliman Mountains and the Indus, was mostly incorporated in 1901 with the North-west Frontier Province. - Dera Ismail Khan, capital of a transferred district, is 4 1/2 miles W. of the Indus. Pop. 35,000. - Dera Ghazi Khan is, though 2 miles W. of the Indus, still attached to the Punjab. Pop. 2S,000.